FTP

Imtb

Bruce' date='

How close to your 5 min power should your FTP be or how big a difference for a trained rider is significant?
[/quote']

The range commonly referred to in trained cyclists to 72% - 77%.  Which is actually quite wide.

So, if you do a MAP test (incremental ramp to exhaustion), your pVO2Max (which correlates well with your 5 minute power), your FTP would be somewhere between 72% and 77% of the average power produced in the last 3 minutes of the test (I think it was 3, would have to check that).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bruce, by your calculations......

Assume a 5 minutes of 400 watts, that gives a indoor FTP range of 288-308 watts (all indoor) Add 15 % for outdoor (using a median of 300 watts FTP, 75%), one arrives at a FTP of 345? Theoritically of course.....

bruce' date=' by your calculations......

Assume a 5 minutes of 400 watts, that gives a indoor FTP range of 288-308 watts (all indoor) Add 15 % for outdoor (using a median of 300 watts FTP, 75%), one arrives at a FTP of 345? Theoritically of course.....
[/quote']

I would say 3 minutes at 400w.  5min power does correlate well with pVO2Max, but they use 3 min in the MAP test.

But yes, sounds reasonable to me because those are similar to my numbers.

OK... thanks. Sorry to sound daft, but if you say 3 minutes at 400w? 1)Does that translate into 5 minutes at a slightly lower figure and 2) should one use a 3 minute 400 watt figure to arrive at an FTP of 345 using the above formulae?

Now' date=' Jason, say sorry (with flowers or diamonds!)
[/quote'] LOL You know, the roof we live under flowers and diamonds are translated in to cycling equipment and power goodies... She already has most of it... Big%20smile best I can do at the moment is lengthen the chain Shocked Jason2008-01-24 10:08:56

OK... thanks. Sorry to sound daft' date=' but if you say 3 minutes at 400w? 1)Does that translate into 5 minutes at a slightly lower figure and 2) should one use a 3 minute 400 watt figure to arrive at an FTP of 345 using the above formulae?

[/quote']

1)  Yes, very much so.  Think about it logically, power is the equivalent of intensity.  If you can handle a certain intensity of a period, then surely you must be able to handle a higher intensity for a shorter period. 

2)  I wouldn't recommend that you establish your ftp this way.  What I would say though, if I new an athlete could produce 400w for 3 minutes, is that the athletes ftp is around 340 - 350 watts, and he should aim for that figure when doing a 60min threshold test.  For a 20min threshold test I'd give the rider a target of 345/0.95 which would be 360-365 watts.

Now' date=' Jason, say sorry (with flowers or diamonds!)
[/quote'] LOL You know, the roof we live under flowers and diamonds are translated in to cycling equipment and power goodies... She already has most of it... Big%20smile best I can do at the moment is lengthen the chain Shocked

You remind me of a certain geek that used to work for me.  Once he asked me my advice as to what to buy his girlfriend for her birthday.  I gave him the name of a new perfume that had just been released - he looked at me as if I was mad and said he was think more along the lines of a new PDA or something.

Michelle must be a special lady to put up with your k@k - I suggest you treat her really well, could be a long wait before you find another like herLOL
bruce2008-01-24 10:57:54

I dont think that determining your ftp by looking at 3min or 5min power is at all accurate... you get riders who are super strong for 5min and below average in a 30min tt, and vice versa. The best way to determine your ftp is to just do a 30min flat out tt!

OK... thanks. Sorry to sound daft' date=' but if you say 3 minutes at 400w? 1)Does that translate into 5 minutes at a slightly lower figure and 2) should one use a 3 minute 400 watt figure to arrive at an FTP of 345 using the above formulae?

[/quote']

1)  Yes, very much so.  Think about it logically, power is the equivalent of intensity.  If you can handle a certain intensity of a period, then surely you must be able to handle a higher intensity for a shorter period. 

2)  I wouldn't recommend that you establish your ftp this way.  What I would say though, if I new an athlete could produce 400w for 3 minutes, is that the athletes ftp is around 340 - 350 watts, and he should aim for that figure when doing a 60min threshold test.  For a 20min threshold test I'd give the rider a target of 345/0.95 which would be 360-365 watts.

Thanks bruce. SRM should be here in a week and then the truth will be told... maybe against fox hill?Cry

I dont think that determining your ftp by looking at 3min or 5min power is at all accurate... you get riders who are super strong for 5min and below average in a 30min tt' date=' and vice versa. The best way to determine your ftp is to just do a 30min flat out tt![/quote']

Agreed, but it can give you a ballpark figure!

[/quote']

Thanks bruce. SRM should be here in a week and then the truth will be told... maybe against fox hill?Cry

Let's see, Mclean, Beneke x 2, van Biljoen, Harvey, Green, Ryder, Moolman, van Eeden, Labuschagne x 2, etc etc etc

We are going to have to hit new bests on our Maximum Power Curve just to hang in there!

Can't wait!

I don't mean those specific riders but in general the FTP of a sprinter compared to a climber.

Michelle must be a special lady to put up with your k@k - I suggest you treat her really well' date=' could be a long wait before you find another like herLOL[/quote']Don't worry... I love her lots and she knows it... Pull her leg all the time so she understands me... I must say she's my everything and diamonds/flowers/25 years subscription to Heat magazine won't be enough...anyway,

I wonder if I should call her in from outside... She's washing my bike from todays session... Nah, I'll wait another 30 minutes, The chain must be clean clean for sweet shifting... Big%20smile

Jason2008-01-24 12:31:22

Michelle must be a special lady to put up with your k@k - I suggest you treat her really well' date=' could be a long wait before you find another like herLOL[/quote']Don't worry... I love her lots and she knows it... Pull her leg all the time so she understands me... I must say she's my everything and diamonds/flowers/25 years subscription to Heat magazine won't be enough...anyway,

I wonder if I should call her in from outside... She's washing my bike from todays session... Nah, I'll wait another 30 minutes, The chain must be clean clean for sweet shifting... Big%20smile

LOL