What mtb tyres do you use?

PappaBear

Using and loving Maxxis Ignitors. Pitty youdon't get them that easily. Wanna have a look at Conti Explorers. Look like they've got the same pattern.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my second set of Geax Saguaro's. Will ride them at Sani2C. I find them very good in both wet and dry conditions. No puncture or sidewall issues as yet.

i had Specialized resolution tyres on mine. Not great at all, the side wall is way to thin. the grip is even worse on hardpack.

took the plunge and bought Schwalbe Alberts. front and back. best choice i have made. good cornering, snakeskin sidewall and pretty fast for a agressive tire

my wife rides a Albert on the front and a Smart Sam on the back, she loves the grip and the speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Conti Mountain Kings worth a try. Now being used by Kevin Evans and the rest of the MTN and producing great results. UST's  weigh in at less than 700g. Air volume on 2.2 is ideal for our conditions and can run right down to 1.9bars.

I'm a sucker for light tyres, and that obsession has only costed me one race win so I'm still at it. On my light hardtail I use Continental Twister Supersonics (350g) with Stans tubeless. On my (as light) Scalpel, I use Panaracer Speedblasters (420g) also with Stans. Very light XC and marathon tyres, but I wouldn't but either through a Trans Baviaans for instance.

Azonic, the Continental Twister Supersonics is not tubeless, so I put them on my crossmax rim and put juice in, but I found that it still loose air over 2 or 3 days.

It works, but you have to pump every 2 to 3 days.

You find the same?

Ride a Titus Moto Lite with 2.1 Nevegal UST front and 2.1 Small Block Eight UST on the the back on NoTubes ZTR Olympic rims. No leaking,seating,inflating issues and haven't had a flat or snake bite in over 4months.

Small Block Eight does not give ultimate grip on loose stuff when you have to pedal VERY hard when the going is slow, but grip through corners is great and "give" is predictable. Not the greatest wed mud tire either as I've at Harkerville over New Year. It does roll very fast and last long.

Nevegal is a awesome front tire and just a good a rear tire in mud/wet/loose conditions. Not as fast as the SBE, but faster than most other "trail" tires.

I've tried several other combinations and brands and these are what I'm happiest with.

conti explorers - with joe's conversion - for me! survived four days in bots.

even now, although they are due a refill of sealant - they stay inflated better than the ust larsens.

I'm a sucker for light tyres' date='. [/quote']

have you see the Schwalbe Furious Fred 290g?

I said I'm a sucker for light tyres, not a sucker in general! I don't do stupid light tyres. Like Maxxis Maxxlite's (310g), they are virtually paper. These must be similar.

You would probably last longer in a race using insulation tape to strap inflated tubes to your rims...

now im confused. which tyre must i use in stage 5 of the epic?

Nothing under 500g. A Huthinson Python would work nicely I think...