Law may change to assist cyclists

paulvs

So take it up with the powers that be.

Agree with you that there should be signs up cautioning the motorised transport about the fact that there is cyclist using the road, just as it warns about the other "road users"

As fas as the PPA sign goes, I TOTALY agree with it, especialy on Chappies during the peak cycling period. The cyclists take over the WHOLE road, sometimes even both lanes at once. This causes a lot of aggrevation with the motorists, who actually PAY to drive on Chappies.

I would suggest that the PPA and the Toll Concession holders should get together over these periods and patrol Chappies and discipline the errant cyclists. Only way "we" will learn

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is this and as in the article - Chapman's peak drive is an example where even cyclists may be doing over the MAX speed limit as indicated by the signage on the drive (20km/h), whether this is enforceable I cannot say!

If the road is too narrow for a car to overtake as their is a solid white line and lane not that wide then the motorist should wait. Now added to this the cyclist is doing the speed limit - should the motorist even be trying to overtake? A Cyclist riding sole like I was today or 2 cyclist riding next to each other - should not under these condition make a difference to a motorist. By not waiting (be it 1 cyclist sole, 2 even or ridiculously 3 cyclist abreast - I am not recommending either) the motorist would be probably breaking 3 rules of the road i.e. if as solo cyclist 1.5m rule, the solid white line rule and the advertised speed limit. The only factor to consider is if when cyclists are 2 or more abreast does the 1.5m law apply if a motorist is in a separate lane (this would be perhaps the case on a different road)?

So on a road which required a motorist to break 3 rules of the road to overtake just 1 cyclist - is the PPA signage appropriate position? In real estate they refer to I think the "3 p" position position position - are these sign position correctly give this stretch of road? Are we as cyclist asking just not to be respected as road users? I am also a motorist and spend probably more time behind my steering wheel than my handlebars! I hope I have explained the points I am trying to get across correctly.

Also on Chapman's Peak today and congratulation to the construction company for giving us cyclist some consideration - just a pity these sign are not permanent (yet - hopefully)!

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/536365_10151289251855310_1883530750_n.jpg

You were lucky

Same goes for france, germany, spain, holland. when i go cycle there in my holiday time the cars wait behind me till its clear then indicate to the car behind that they are going to pass me on my left. amazing how safe a person feels cycling in Europe

That picture is misleading. those cyclist are behin one another but staggered to give themselves room . Riding in a perfect single file is very difficult and require complete trust and knowledge of the riders around you and how they behave on a bike.

Folks, yes we should bemoan those of us who break rules. It does not help us to be divided amongst ourselves. ICycling makes a very valid point on speedlimits and if these are obeyed on the roads then harmony between different road users can be found.

Nothing is achieved without respect.

Motorists using the excuse that cyclist are to blame for our own problems is the pot calling the kettle black. There are more moving violations than cyclists who are transgressing. The bigger win is more responsible behaviours and use of the road by motorists. We're also motorists so it starts with us.

We really need that emergency meeting and develop a road map that can be presented to the City on what our demands are as road users. Riding the Argus is a farce is the intention of the Argus is forgotten. Unity folks, unity...

If you google how to overtake a vehicle (a bicycle is considered a vehicle and subject to the same road rules as other vehicles) you will find quite a bit of info but here some pointer:

http://www.rulesofth...overtaking.html . In this link it states:

Make sure the road ahead is clear so you have enough distance to allow you to overtake and get back to your own side of the road without forcing any other road user to move to avoid you.

If I am reading this right that you are expected to overtake in a separate lane? If so is the 1.5m rule not a concession to the current rule i.e. even if you are 1 cyclist riding far left another vehicle should still overtake in a separate lane which would offer you more than likely on a narrow road at least 2.5m? I quite like that rule as a cyclist! But it has not been enforced - so why should I believe the 1.5m rule will be enforced unless some major campaigning is done by the cycling bodies? Should we the cycling community not also be asking in conjunction with this concession that cyclist should on all road be allowed to ride legally 2 abreast? A little bit of give and take would be nice! As for Chapman's Peak the 20 km/h sign posted basically makes it illegal in many ways as to why a motor vehicle should not be trying to pass a cyclist on that stretch of road for 2.2km!

These comment were found on more than 1 web site:

overtaking check list

Remember, to overtake safely you must:

• Have a clear uninterrupted view of the road ahead.

• Check rear-view mirrors and clear blind spots.

• Signal your intentions before and after overtaking.

• Not exceed the posted speed limit.

When you must not overtake

You must not overtake another vehicle when:

• It is stopping or has stopped at a pedestrian or

children’s crossing.

• It has stopped at an intersection (unless the driver signals that they

are turning left or right and it is safe to do so).

• There is a ‘NO OVERTAKING’ or ‘NO PASSING’ sign.

• You are nearing a blind bend or the crest of a hill or you do not have

a good view of the road ahead.

• The road is marked with a dividing line comprising two continuous

lines; a continuous line on the left of a broken or dotted line; or a

single continuous line.

Edited by Icycling

Also to consider: a cyclist is given 1m space from the kerb. If at that 1m + 1.5 safe overtaking = 2.5m in a 3m lane/ That Motorist needs to be overtaking where there is a broken line and a clear view ahead.

In SA we just have a dangerous driving culture + lack of enforcement. Try a moving violation in Mississipi...

I take issue with Gail's numbers - not sure where she dreamed those up. There are likely well over 40 cyclists per hour on this road.

Cars must sit and wait until it is safe to overtake as the article says. Time for SA motorists to wake up and join the 21st century. They queue silently for the roadworks, but losing far less time to the odd bike is too much to tolerate.

I know of more than 5 cyclists who cycle that route everyday to get to work. She should have asked people who actually ride and live in that area.

And what about the people who ride that road when training. The group I train with are well over 10...

Edited by Let's Ride

That pic is so small, can hardly make it out, but quite sure that is NOT a PPA sign, looks rather surprisingly a lot like the type of sign the RTA would erect.

edit = typo

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/21179_10151300309190310_1644690418_n.jpg

Agreed. Motorist should be hangin back on Chappies. No place to overtake safely, There are camera's all along that raod but the traffic authorities don't seem to pull the discs to catch the transgressors