Law may change to assist cyclists

paulvs

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit off topic... but:

Would motorist still have to abide to this law even when there is a dedicated cycle lane, but the cyclist chooses not to use it?

I see so many douchbags that do this on Marine drive while there is a (PERFECTLY) good cycle lane... and when you hoot or confront them they act like the motorist is in the wrong.

"Hayward said: “Cyclists are not all goody-two-shoes. The police must get out there and fine those people. A cyclist does not have the right to ignore traffic rules. In Australia they confiscate your bike until you’ve paid the fine.”"

I like. They need to implement this in Joburg on Oxford road going through Rosebank. Buses are a major issue here especially early morning. Cant even remember the number of close shaves I have had. The buses also seriously exceed the speed limit. If I was a traffic cop I would be making a few arrests every morning.

The Cape Times asked Transport MEC Robin Carlisle if it were feasible to introduce the 1.5m overtaking legislation, given the narrowness of some roads favoured by cyclists.

Carlisle replied: “If the road is too narrow for a vehicle to overtake a cycle at a distance of 1.5m, then that vehicle must travel behind the cycle until it is able to overtake it lawfully.”

The principle is great and I think it is a move in the right direction.

Enforcement will still be an issue, but if a motorist does hit a cyclist whilst breaking this law it could spell serious trouble for him.

I like. They need to implement this in Joburg on Oxford road going through Rosebank. Buses are a major issue here especially early morning. Cant even remember the number of close shaves I have had. The buses also seriously exceed the speed limit. If I was a traffic cop I would be making a few arrests every morning.

Those Putco busses down Oxford road in the mornings terrify me.

"Carlisle replied: “If the road is too narrow for a vehicle to overtake a cycle at a distance of 1.5m, then that vehicle must travel behind the cycle until it is able to overtake it lawfully.”

In London the cars would sit behind me traveling at my speed until it was clear to overtake me legally and safely. It is not a new concept in the rest of the world.

"Carlisle replied: “If the road is too narrow for a vehicle to overtake a cycle at a distance of 1.5m, then that vehicle must travel behind the cycle until it is able to overtake it lawfully.”

In London the cars would sit behind me traveling at my speed until it was clear to overtake me legally and safely. It is not a new concept in the rest of the world.

But the rest of the world doesn't have the same amount of mad drivers that SA does (or at least the ratio of sane to mad).

KUdo's to Stephen HAyward for making the remarks he did. I support those statements and examples 110%.

Where the roads are too narrow to pass, the 1.5m rule should stay. the speed limit should just be reduced to 30km/hr as it is in Dutch and German residential areas where the roads are too narrow. bring the speed to a common denominator.

If necessary, speed bumps down Main Rd between Muizenberg and Fish Hoek will solve the problem. It will probably get more of those folks into the trains too...If motorists want to drive in a high speed zone they should use Boyes Drive.

fairly flippen simple.

we got some dangerous louts on the road.

Last night on the way home some box in a 4x4 bakkie pulls out in front of a oke with a Golf on the HoutBay side of Constantia Nek. The Box then must have missed a gear but the bakkie nearly comes to a stop and the oke in the Golf overtakes on the right (Its a dotted line in this area) to avoid the bakkie. The oke in the bakkie loses the Frikken plot and starts gooing stuff around inside the cabin, as it turns out he's looking for a cell phone to take a pic of the Golf.AS I'm watching this unfold in front of me I count at least 6 moving violations by the bakkie driver.

At the Ladies Mile Extension COnstantia Nek drive intersection the bakkie driver give the oke in the Golf a mouthful. Tells him "I got your plates, I got your plates, you drive like a **** ". What the Heck??! Oke in the Golf Just smiled and waved.

CT drivers need a KZN zero tolerance approach on their asses. Sorry but driving to work everyday is an experience in survival itself. Send Bear Grylls to Cape Town and give him a Smart or Picanto to drive for a "Survivor" episode!

Edited by GoLefty!!

The principle is great and I think it is a move in the right direction.

Enforcement will still be an issue, but if a motorist does hit a cyclist whilst breaking this law it could spell serious trouble for him.

Indeed, Dangerous and Negligent driving, Assault.probably a few more. We will truelly e nation of convicts thereafter. May have to hug an Aussie soon

we can't even keep the taxis and other cors off the sidewalks in JHB. Hence I am saying no one will abide...

According to Gail Jennings, a non-motorised transport consultant, about 19 000 vehicles use the Kalk Bay/ Muizenberg road daily, and about 30 to 40 “utility cyclists”.

I take issue with Gail's numbers - not sure where she dreamed those up. There are likely well over 40 cyclists per hour on this road.

Cars must sit and wait until it is safe to overtake as the article says. Time for SA motorists to wake up and join the 21st century. They queue silently for the roadworks, but losing far less time to the odd bike is too much to tolerate.

You were lucky

Bit off topic... but:

Would motorist still have to abide to this law even when there is a dedicated cycle lane, but the cyclist chooses not to use it?

I see so many douchbags that do this on Marine drive while there is a (PERFECTLY) good cycle lane... and when you hoot or confront them they act like the motorist is in the wrong.

"Hayward said: “Cyclists are not all goody-two-shoes. The police must get out there and fine those people. A cyclist does not have the right to ignore traffic rules. In Australia they confiscate your bike until you’ve paid the fine.”"

there is no dedicated cycle lane in the area you mention.....it is for bicycles and pedestrians.....and in my opinion more dangerous than the road.

there is no need to be confrontational, the cyclist has every right to be on the road. you are just aggravating yourself and the cyclist.....and for the record i use the lane if i'm on my own or for a social ride.......a bunch of more than 5 riders are just looking for trouble trying to negotiate the cycle lanes at speed.