Commuting Durbanville To Century City

Disylizzy

I can't wait for the extension of Vissershok to Sunningdale to finally open up. Its impossible for me to commute from Table View to Durbanville using Blouberg / Koeberg with the current road works.

The official opening of the Sandown extension is October 29th, so it'll be safe to do it from then.

The official opening of the Sandown extension is October 29th, so it'll be safe to do it from then.

From the PPA twitter feed

Table View SAPS have alerted us of the following: An increase in cyclist attacks along New Sanddown Road and Potsdam Road. SAPS are urging cyclists to use alternative routes.

Please take extra caution when cycling in the area!

And from the TMBC Facebook page

Stay far away from Sandown, 1 stabbing, shots fired at another cyclist and two bikes stolen this week alone

I REALLY hope it gets safer for cyclists once the road officially opens, but that may be a bit naive..

Edited by Skubarra

From the PPA twitter feed

Table View SAPS have alerted us of the following: An increase in cyclist attacks along New Sanddown Road and Potsdam Road. SAPS are urging cyclists to use alternative routes.

Please take extra caution when cycling in the area!

And from the TMBC Facebook page

Stay far away from Sandown, 1 stabbing, shots fired at another cyclist and two bikes stolen this week alone

I REALLY hope it gets safer for cyclists once the road officially opens, but that may be a bit naive..

The problem is that the road is still closed and since the construction is very close to being wrapped up, there aren't as many workers around as what there were in the beginning. So it's a nice access for all kinds of people that aren't in vehicles since the roads are supposed to be blocked on either side. I've had to do site inspections in the middle of the day but end up cutting it short because there are some dodgy people hanging around there and the crews were too far away for my liking.

EDIT: so once the road is open, there will be more traffic and less likely that undesirables lurking around.

Edited by Disylizzy

EDIT: so once the road is open, there will be more traffic and less likely that undesirables lurking around.

I truly hope so, would be nice for us okes behind the boereworsgordyn to have the option of a breakfast ride to the sea!

Hey guys

Since there are a few of us that commutes this route, and if we want to join up I suggest we create a meeting spot with time and dates we are cycling?

I commute every Monday, Tuesday and Friday and leave around 5:30am, but can be flexible.

I'm close to Cape Gate side and guessing the furthest away? so you guys can come up with meeting spots?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there...

Has anyone ever taken the Vissershok route? I don't think there's a nice shoulder there but if you travel early enough there might not be much traffic?

I have been riding through Tiekie Draai (Tyger Valley Road) and did Contermanskloof a few times too and that seems to be perfect.

But would like to have more routes to explore :)

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hey guys

Since there are a few of us that commutes this route, and if we want to join up I suggest we create a meeting spot with time and dates we are cycling?

I commute every Monday, Tuesday and Friday and leave around 5:30am, but can be flexible.

I'm close to Cape Gate side and guessing the furthest away? so you guys can come up with meeting spots?

Thanks

Hi Hamster, I'm keen to join a commuting group from Durbanville to Century City. Are you guys riding?

@Firemeister - I don't think there's a group for this route yet, but we can start one ;) although I'll be changing next month. I've sent you a pm

My commuting has been put on hold for now. Hoping to start up again. But will then be going all the way to the CBD. Will more than likely use the same route though to get to the cycle path.

Will touch base on here again and see if I can join you guys for some of the way.

Im tempting to start commuting for similar reasons.

Im in Aurora and work in CC, I would prefer to ride with someone to help with the motivation and the safety aspect. If you decide to start again, Im defn interested.

Cheers

My commuting has been put on hold for now. Hoping to start up again. But will then be going all the way to the CBD. Will more than likely use the same route though to get to the cycle path.

Will touch base on here again and see if I can join you guys for some of the way.

I'll be working in the CBD from August, and plan to cycle from Kenridge. We'll have a dedicated cycly lane coming up. Let's stay in touch.

• 3 months later...

I'm in Kenridge moving to D'Urbanvale shortly. Maybe we can start a ride together to the century city and cbd in summer..?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all I might be moving to Durbanville and was wondering who is doing the commute into town. My current commute is Table View to Paarden Eiland and I am just about getting used to it. I had a crappy winter with flu and started again today.

Was wondering what will be the best route from Durbanville to Paarden Eiland be and if anyone is doing it everyday?