Commuting Durbanville To Century City

Disylizzy

I've decided that in order to get more time on the bike, I'm going to commute to work a few times a week... :eek:

Does anyone else go from Durbanville to CC, that I can potentially tag along with?

The proposed route is along Tiekie Draai to the Burgundy Estates, through Burgundy to Bosmansdam, and then up to CC. Is this route relatively "safe"?

Good job! That will add some training time and distance very quickly!!! Better to start with the mountain bike and a backpack with your necessary goodies and once you have worked out a proper schedule and where you can leave what or take stuff in ahead of time, which routes pose the least potential for punctures, then you leave the pack and get on the skinny wheel bike to put in some extra distance and add to the training!

Yup, plan is to take the mtb. Figured it'd be easier to ride through obstacles than with the dun wielitjies...

But I'll first start off with driving through on a Monday with all my gear and clothes, then bike home Monday night and then back in Tuesday AM. I need my car at the office to go to meetings.

I take another road from Durbanville to the city past Century City (Bosmansdam road). I go over Jip de Jager, Hendrik Verwoerd, le Sueur, a couple of left and rights in Imhoff in Monta Vista and then into Edgemead Dr towards Bosmansdam. Worst bit is passing over N7 and Montagu Gardens.

The road has far less debre on it than your road

At the moment I have to go to clients but should be back next week

I've decided that in order to get more time on the bike, I'm going to commute to work a few times a week... eek.gif

Does anyone else go from Durbanville to CC, that I can potentially tag along with?

The proposed route is along Tiekie Draai to the Burgundy Estates, through Burgundy to Bosmansdam, and then up to CC. Is this route relatively "safe"?

The Tiekie Draai - Burgendy Estate route is part of my most regular training ride and have had no issues so far. <touch wood>

Did my first commute session last night and this morning! :clap:

It was a blast! Going up Tiekie Draai will be some decent hill training, and then when I get fitter, I'll plan on going via Malanshoogte as well.

Lots of friendly cyclists this morning! Planning on doing it again tomorrow night/Thursday morning.

@pietas, I'll be keen to check out the route that you do as well. Right now on the mtb the debris isn't much of an issue, but if I take the road bike out, then it won't be so lekker.

• 4 weeks later...

Did my first commute session last night and this morning! :clap:

It was a blast! Going up Tiekie Draai will be some decent hill training, and then when I get fitter, I'll plan on going via Malanshoogte as well.

Lots of friendly cyclists this morning! Planning on doing it again tomorrow night/Thursday morning.

@pietas, I'll be keen to check out the route that you do as well. Right now on the mtb the debris isn't much of an issue, but if I take the road bike out, then it won't be so lekker.

Hey Disylizzy, How far and how long is the cycle between Durbanville and Century City?

Hey Disylizzy, How far and how long is the cycle between Durbanville and Century City?

The distance is 23km. Time wise on my mtb is 1h15 to get home and 1h00 to get to work. And on the roadbike its 1h05 to get home and 55min to get to work. That's at an easy pace. I prefer it on the mtb because there are a couple of sections that have some debris on the road, and then if I hit peak hour traffic on the way home, the stretch along Tiekie Draai from Tygervalley Road to St. John's I can ride on the gravel and avoid the backed up traffic!

The distance is 23km. Time wise on my mtb is 1h15 to get home and 1h00 to get to work. And on the roadbike its 1h05 to get home and 55min to get to work. That's at an easy pace. I prefer it on the mtb because there are a couple of sections that have some debris on the road, and then if I hit peak hour traffic on the way home, the stretch along Tiekie Draai from Tygervalley Road to St. John's I can ride on the gravel and avoid the backed up traffic!

Thanks a mil, that sounds fun, will try it in the new year when I move to DV.

• 8 months later...

Are you guys still doing this commute?

• 2 months later...

Hey guys...

I've started taking this route and it's way better than coming over the old hendrik verwoed and platterkloof side. Although there's lots of hill climbing home... that's all good training.

It was really fun and there's lots of friendly cyclists too.. so most cars keeps a look out for us :)

It might be better with a MTB but unfortunately I only have a road bike but it's been all good so far!

Can't wait for home time now!

I can't wait for the extension of Vissershok to Sunningdale to finally open up. Its impossible for me to commute from Table View to Durbanville using Blouberg / Koeberg with the current road works.

I can't wait for the extension of Vissershok to Sunningdale to finally open up. Its impossible for me to commute from Table View to Durbanville using Blouberg / Koeberg with the current road works.

Hi,

I do this piece (Blouberg/Koeberg) between Tableview and Durbanville nearly everyday. I cross over at Gie road (nice cycle patch down Blouberg Road till here), onto the Western side of Blouberg road and then ride along the pavement through the Kia motors dealership.

I stay on the pavement all the way to Plattekloof Road, before crossing over at the robots, after which its fairly stress free.

Most days its on the MTB, but today is on the road bike (Killarney night). There are some small pavements to bunny hop, but nothing your standard road bike cant handle if you keep it smooth ;>)

No punctures along this stretch yet.

Disylizzy is your commuting bike ready yet?

I'm commuting tomorrow morning again - inbox me if you need a ride partner.

Yup, did my first commute again yesterday going home and in again this morning. Going to start commuting more regularly, so will be keen to possibly meet up. I also try to get in before 7am.