Please help. Tried everything

Creme' Boulle'

Thanks for the advise, I'm on a 29er, is it ok to narrow the bars.

I am also riding a 29er and it does not seem to be problem for me. If you don't want to cut your existing bars, just adjust your shifters, brake levers and grips inwards. It may look weird, but at least it will give you an idea, without the additional cost of cutting for no reason.

Edited by Excite_Bike

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Upper back/neck pain is most often due to overextending so not sure a longer stem will help.

Not sure you are correct here, generalizing yes.

But alas, at the OP.

Hope you come right.

Hi All

Thanks for the comments will try and put it all together, this is what i think i am going to do, I still have the old bars, so i will cut them to 550mm, I will put my old stem back on ( 75mm) push my seat back to a more centered position, lift my bars one space higher, lower my seat slightly, ride only with water bottles no camelbak, will warm up as much as possible prior to ride, Take the peak of my helmet, try do as much core work as possible.

Thanks again for all the advise.

Conrad

My g-friend is a nurse and has dealt with spinal fusions from MTB'ers every now and then. Most of them as a result from hard tails (stubbornly I also ride one), so don't underestimate the damage it can do to your body and how long it can take to fix itself.

just be careful about lowering the saddle too much - I got bad knee pain by doing that. Basically, if you get achilles pain, lower the saddle. if your quads get sore from doing too much, raise the saddle slightly.

Also, be careful when raising the handle bar - sometimes too upright a position can cause back pain too due to the position of the hips (similar to if saddle is too flat/tilted upwards).

It's best to make small adjustments and see the difference - takes a while, but reduces the risk of doing damage.

Hi All

Thanks for the comments will try and put it all together, this is what i think i am going to do, I still have the old bars, so i will cut them to 550mm, I will put my old stem back on ( 75mm) push my seat back to a more centered position, lift my bars one space higher, lower my seat slightly, ride only with water bottles no camelbak, will warm up as much as possible prior to ride, Take the peak of my helmet, try do as much core work as possible.

Thanks again for all the advise.

Conrad

Don't just go & cut the bars. You might not like it in the longer run. 550mm is really narrow (IMO) I ride mainly XC & trail & Ifelt my bike was transformed when I went to a bit wider bars. Now at 690mm, but it was like 600mm to start off with (or could have been slightly wider)

Rather move everything in & ride with it like this to se whether you like it. Your problem might be coming from somewhere else. Just remember end caps!!!

LOL Dont do it all at once... otherwise if it works you wont know what the actual problem was... and we expect you to come back and tell us in a few weeks...

I'd start with the core work and lifting the bars a bit higher...