Wire 'trap' next to Klapperkop

Pants Boy

Hi all,

I came across two youngsters 'setting up' a 'wire trap' next to Klapperkop - that rocky singletrack between the Klapperkop fence and the R21. It was right at the big 'padpredikant' (road sign) - they were busy fixing a long length of barbed wire to the pole of the sign, presumably to attach the other end on the other side of the singletrack, maybe to the fence or one of the posts. It was quite low, below half-wheel height, so seeing the rusted wire against that blur of a rocky downhill would be nigh on impossible.

Fortunately I was going uphill (stupid) and they did not expect anyone from that side. Had a bit of a chat and they saw reason to not return. Tried to tell the guard at Klapperkop gate about it, but he didn't get it.

Be careful when coming down that section, I know I love to bomb it down there from time to time, and coming down into that wore would've ended with me in hospital.

Lol, it was a close affair. They can be damn glad they caught me in a 'good mood'

Did they set traps to catch wildlife or catch an unsuspecting rider?

The way it looked (they were still busy) they were stringing barbed wire straight across the singletrack, outside the fence, just below knee height.

The way it looked (they were still busy) they were stringing barbed wire straight across the singletrack, outside the fence, just below knee height.

Eish, thats bloody hectic eek.gif