Soft Tail vs Dual suspension

xtcman

Picked up a new issue of Thread magazine, awesome article explaing the differance between a dual suspension and softail.

A while back when I tole my mate the differance he laughed at me and said " how can a softail work if the stays are fixed with no pivots". He's one of those "know-it-all" kinda guys. Now I can laugh in his face.

Okay, I'll try do justice...

Firstly a dual sus, which you can see all over the mtb scene in SA) makes use of links and pivots and a rear shock (air or spring) to create suspension on the rear half of the bike. (NB - with this system you get unwanted "peddle-bob" which causes a loss of power whilst pedal, systems have been invented to eliminate this, such as Giants's Maestro system)

However...

A "Soft-tail" has no pivots or linkages, rather "flexy" chain stays. And behind the seatpost tube on the frame is like a little piston connected to the seat stays which absorbs bumps and shocks.

A million eye-spy points if you've ever spotted one in SA.

Hopefully I did this thread justice. Someone please correct me if need be for the greater good of letting people know the differance

The 26er cannondale scalpel carbon has no pivots and linkages at the chainstay but only at the top where it connects to the rear shock. seems like a hybris duallie softail then. (my bicycle lingo cou

d be wrong but i hope u get the point)

The original scalpels (up until a year or so ago) were technically soft tail mtb's.

I never did trust those flexy chain stays.

Tried a Scalpel Ultimate once. It was setup for a sub 60kg rider. I'm close on 90kg. It felt like that thing had less than 1" travel... like why even bother having a dual then?!

but I guess atleast they have pivots and dampening. The soft tail purists would fall in love with something like this

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KfCsXGxNMGM/TGWDBP2TMJI/AAAAAAAACeM/DHT6xGzFfjE/s1600/moots_ybb.jpg

...can't see why though :lol:

I never did trust those flexy chain stays.

Tried a Scalpel Ultimate once. It was setup for a sub 60kg rider. I'm close on 90kg. It felt like that thing had less than 1" travel... like why even bother having a dual then?!

nor why they use an rp23!?

You okes have it all wrong, a soft tail is a chick with a wide arse. A dual susser is your mate you're envious of who's organised a 3some.