Group sets and their difference

ericdj

I have a MTB 29ER and now i want to get a road bike but i dont know what the difference is between these sets like Tiagra vs. 105 etc... how does one know what group set to use, is there a guide of some sort

Eric

$$$$$ vs weight.

That's your guide.

Entry level on a road bike should be Tiagra, preferably 105, Ultegra if you can afford it or Dura Ace if you can because you want to and don't mind paying for it. Well that's for someone that believes Shimano should be on a road bike.

I wub.png the shiny carbon fiber on my Campy groupset so my opinion is irrelevant tongue.png

At the end of the day it's probably exactly the same as to why you have SLX/XT instead of plain Deore or cheaper. Better quality, less weight.

Edited by Bianchi

Shimano starts of with

1) Sora

2) Tiagra

3) 105

4) Ultegra

5) Ultegra Di2 Electronic

6) Dura Ace

7) Dura Ace Di2 Electronic

Edited by Wannabe

Shimano starts of with

1) Sora

2) Tiagra

3) 105

4) Ultegra

5) Ultegra Di2 Electronic

6) Dura Ace

7) Dura Ace Di2 Electronic

Thank you very much, most helpfull

what advantages will ultegra crank have over 105 crank. is it that much better, or will a 105 be good enough. i have a sora groupo and want to upgrade to ultegra, crank then shiftes later and so on

I have the Ultegra and I'm very impressed with them. Ultegra vs 105 is perhaps like saying XT vs SLX.

what advantages will ultegra crank have over 105 crank. is it that much better, or will a 105 be good enough. i have a sora groupo and want to upgrade to ultegra, crank then shiftes later and so on

My first line from my previous post.

An Ultegra will be a lot lighter than a 105 crank.

You might be much better off upgrading it in one shot compared to bits and pieces. Check your prices.

I have a MTB 29ER and now i want to get a road bike but i dont know what the difference is between these sets like Tiagra vs. 105 etc... how does one know what group set to use, is there a guide of some sort

Eric

IMO the higher you go with Shimano the more delicate and 'finiky' the group set gets. 105 is fairly bullet proof and can handle a fair amount of abuse.

105 is plenty group set for the majority of riders.

I would like to advise you to look not only at the purchase price, but also the long-term service costs of maintaining your groupset as well.

The upper-end grouppo's not only costa lota, their replacement parts are expensive as well i.e. the chain and cluster is going to increase the service costs long-term.

Generally speaking, the higher up you go, the more punishment the grouppo will withstand, so the Tiagra will break sooner than Ultegra 600, if you ride them the same amount of Km's.

I went from entry-level Shimano when I was a schoolboy, to 105 when I upped my training in Technicon, then I upgraded to Ultegra 600 when I was riding 6 days a week and had a job!

Sure I don't do that amount of training any more, but my 9-speed Ultegra is still in very good condition some 14 years later.

Your LBS should be able to advise you on the best-fit for you, based on budget, intended use and amount of riding you're planning to do.

Cheers,

Agree with most of the above.

Dura Ace gets really finicky and needs lots of love and attention but shifts and feels like a dream when correctly tuned.

If your budget can handle it and you want something that will keep you until you decide to turn pro, get Ultegra.

If you're on a reasonable budget but want value for money and something that will last, get 105 or Tiagra.

If you're on a very restricted budget and don't care about weight, looks or performance, Sora will do the job just fine too.

If you want to feel European and want to look down your nose at all the Shimano boys, get Campagnolo.

If you want to be cool and edgy, get SRAM.