Chain falling off

D-Mike

In the race today my chain fell off 4 times. Was a bit annoying and I really don't want to have it happen during Die Burger.

With the rolling hills I found myself staying mostly on the big chain ring and every now and again there's a steep roller for which I geared down to 2nd or 3rd on the cluster while I was on the big chain ring. Then if I shifted over to the small chain ring, the chain would drop off completely. If switched from the large to small chain ring while being in 5th on the cluster, I was fine. Is there something I can do to prevent the chain from falling off.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Certainly check the FD seetings as suggested above.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try using a chain catcher/deflector.

What would Andy do? Hmmm. As others have said its prob limit screws. Therwise get a chaincatcher.

I geared down to 2nd or 3rd on the cluster while I was on the big chain ring. Then if I shifted over to the small chain ring, the chain would drop off

If switched from the large to small chain ring while being in 5th on the cluster, I was fine.

Rider error. This will happen on most bikes.

If in 2nd / 3rd on the cluster, the chain is under much more tension than it is when in 5th/6th.

When you shift from the big to small chain ring, the chain tension is suddenly released like a catapult, and the chain comes off at the front.

Rider error. This will happen on most bikes.

If in 2nd / 3rd on the cluster, the chain is under much more tension than it is when in 5th/6th.

When you shift from the big to small chain ring, the chain tension is suddenly released like a catapult, and the chain comes off at the front.

I am aware that rider error contributes and that in this instance I learned the hard way.

However this is the first time I have experienced this problem, to this degree and I think the chain slip is "over sensitive" (for a lack of a better word.) I think it can be improved if not solved completely.

I have had a simular issue before. Messed around with the fd and it went away... Cant remember if I just dailed the barel adjester or if I set the limit screw. But it was a simple fix.

It's always a good idea to soft pedal slowly for a revolution or two when you drop from big to small ring. If you're pedalling too fast the momentum of the chain heading left throws it right off the inside. The higher up the cassette you are the worse the problem.

Limit screws are the other probable cause - the limit should be set as far out as possible without the chain rubbing on the FD when in the granny gear on the cassette.