First Bike: Where do I start?

Firozfx

I am highly interested in taking up MTB'ing. Open roads are too dangerous. Have been scouring the internet for a few days now and now more confused more than ever. I am willing to spend up to around R9000 on a bike.

Riding for leisure, think its called trail riding? I am over 6 ft so bike must be big I think.

Cannot figure what type/brand to look at. 29er. hardtail, budget softail

Please help with suggestions and where to buy. Round the corner from hotspot cycles in Pta

Ah, second hand. Go to this web site, thehubsa.co.za, troll their classifieds...

I heard about this website and their hundreds of bikes for sale. I best be checking it out now.

I am highly interested in taking up MTB'ing. Open roads are too dangerous. Have been scouring the internet for a few days now and now more confused more than ever. I am willing to spend up to around R9000 on a bike.

Riding for leisure, think its called trail riding? I am over 6 ft so bike must be big I think.

Cannot figure what type/brand to look at. 29er. hardtail, budget softail

Please help with suggestions and where to buy. Round the corner from hotspot cycles in Pta

9k you can pretty much choose yourself any new hardtail you like

unless you a Dirtyracesnakeroady and want 6 kg bike whistling.gif

Dual suspension you looking more like 12k+ for anything decent.

7k+ for dual frame if you have wheels etc..

My 1/2 cent GLthumbup1.gif

Njoi thumbup1.gif

9k you can pretty much choose yourself any new hardtail you like

unless you a Dirtyracesnakeroady and want 6 kg bike whistling.gif

Dual suspension you looking more like 12k+ for anything decent.

7k+ for dual frame if you have wheels etc..

My 1/2 cent GLthumbup1.gif

Njoi thumbup1.gif

Im saying buy new...

peace of mind wink.png

Spend 6k on a decent mid-range used hardtail. Keep the balance for any upgrades u might need. Get into the sport, ride, learn to love it, see what everyone else is riding and invariably you will want to upgrade.

Look for good basics, descent wheels, brakes, groupset and that the frame is your right size. A good fork too. Should be able to find a good bike like this in classifieds.

I am selling my Silverback Ventura at the moment if you are interested. You cannot beat silverback at value for money...

PM me if you want more details

Hi All.

I think I'll just build on this thread as I'm looking for the same thing. New to the Hub and almost new to cycling. Will be once I actually get a bike. Just need some advice. Looking for an entry level MTB. So far have narrowed down to Merida Matts 100, Silverback Stride 20 and Giant revel (cant remember which one). I want to some trail rides at Tokai and maybe use the bike to commute to work at teh VNA waterfront once in a while. Any pointers or advice on these bikes?

Hi All.

I think I'll just build on this thread as I'm looking for the same thing. New to the Hub and almost new to cycling. Will be once I actually get a bike. Just need some advice. Looking for an entry level MTB. So far have narrowed down to Merida Matts 100, Silverback Stride 20 and Giant revel (cant remember which one). I want to some trail rides at Tokai and maybe use the bike to commute to work at teh VNA waterfront once in a while. Any pointers or advice on these bikes?

Yes, also look second hand.

For R9000 you can get new 2012 and for even less 2011 bikes at good prices. I picked up a new 2012 29" HT with XT and Reba fork for under R9000.

Try Solomons in Pta or Woodmead.

If you are new to cycling also remember to budget for shoes, clothing, helmet etc... That can easily add R2-R3k to your total spend

Thanks guys. Looking at some used bike on that brilliant website thehubsa.co.za.

STOP LOOKING wink.png

heres your deal.. 2nd hand not gonna get much better or cheaper.Dirt cheap for good pedaller ,xc dual sus for 2.5k...thumbup1.gif

GG