Die Burger Cycle Tour

Cippo

One week to go. Who will be doing there first one? Who will be returning to improve their PB? Any questions to ask fellow hubbers about tips and route description. As far as weather is concerned early predictions from Accuweather says Stellies will be a high of 26 deg and low of 16 deg. Wind will be NW 12 knots. Paarl will be 29/16 deg, wind NNW 8 knots and Wellinngton 29/16 deg, wind NNW 9 knots. Earlier there was talk of rain but we will wait and see. Any comments about the new start procedures as per mail? Be there one hour before your start and into the shutes. Seems like we gonna have to warm the legs up Ou Hellshoogte.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The D team will be there again, the two junior riders on the short route, the senior one on the long route. I shall be domestique for the 12 yr old who is now on his own bike while the tandem gathers dust.

The D team will be there again, the two junior riders on the short route, the senior one on the long route. I shall be domestique for the 12 yr old who is now on his own bike while the tandem gathers dust.

That's special.

:-)

Go for an hour high cadence ride on the Saturday, during which you do a few FULL OUT sprints to "wake the legs up".

On Sunday morning, do a proper warmup, also including a few full out sprints. Spending an hour in the chute will get the heart rate down, and your legs might cool down again, but will quickly get to full operating temperature quite soon. Use the time up to the gate at the foot of Old Hels to get the legs going again. After that you should be firing on all cylinders.

Last year I left home late and got to park near hospital, then rushing to catch my start group and made it just in time, so legs were 'lekker warm'. The climb up Hell's in between the trees will have you looking for gears at the back. Pace yourself because there is still a long way to go. Enjoy the fast drop into Pniel and then swing left towards Paarl. That last stretch from the N1 on the R44 saps the legs completely so keep some in reserve. Its going to be awesome , hope the rain stays away.

Will be my first Burger too. Really excited and can not wait for the weekend!

You just cant wait to hear everyone ask about your new bike, then you can give them all the specs. You know you have to ride it really hard as its the first race.

Riding this for the first time.

I'm seeded C hoping to improve my Argus seeding from J, so that I can make an attempt at Sub 3 Argus in 2013. By my estimates that means a 2:45 Burger. Just rode DC in 7:35, with no problems.

Long story with some questions for those who know the area and the race

Where is a good place to ride a 20 to 30 min warm up? I'll never have a good ride up Helshoogte on cold legs.

And with 2:45 as a target time, what should I be aiming for in terms of time splits over the race?

I'm seeded C hoping to improve my Argus seeding from J, so that I can make an attempt at Sub 3 Argus in 2013. By my estimates that means a 2:45 Burger. Just rode DC in 7:35, with no problems.

Where is a good place to ride a 20 to 30 min warm up? I'll never have a good ride up Helshoogte on cold legs.

And with 2:45 as a target time, what should I be aiming for in terms of time splits over the race?

Sub 2:45 you should average 34-35 kph. Not sure of the time splits. Generally warm up in Stellies around venue or you could head up the new Hells. The vibe in the streets is awesome. The place gets real busy.

Just stick to the front of the bunch, they'll pull you along to whatever time the winner do.

I'm also seeded C (with Seabee amongst others) Just hope to better my 2:55 of last year.

First time doing the burger. Am trying to find the cut off times for each stage on the long route?

Yip......My personal goal is to try and at least REACH that first cut-off!