Converting a 26" to a 650B

edkin

I have not, and am not going to read anything, but here's the rub.

26" wheel with 2.0 tire has a circumference of 2154

26" wheel with 2.4 tire has a circumference of 2216

650B wheel with 2.0 tire has a circumference of 2216

So tire size has a huge impact. ho higher volume and get the same effect. Shows you how close 650B and 26 are.

Not trying to challenge you but can I ask where you got circumferences from?

For a 26" with 2.0" tyre I calculate 2075mm circumference?

It may come down to actual measurements vs. calculated, etc.

Here is a spreadsheet I put together a while ago

wheelsizes.pdf

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a few apps that do the calcs for you. I am too lazy to do it myself. however the ratios should still remain true and the net result is that you can get a 26' wheel with a higher volume tyre to give you the same circumference as a 650B with a standard tyre.

Hmmm. Conversion...

Problem is that I have a Revelation fork.

Is it worth buying a new fork to do the conversion..?

not a new fork, but just the lowers and it is available.

i changed my revelation form 26 to 27 on my Cannondale.

huge difference and i keep up with the 29ers much easier.

From a few apps that do the calcs for you. I am too lazy to do it myself. however the ratios should still remain true and the net result is that you can get a 26' wheel with a higher volume tyre to give you the same circumference as a 650B with a standard tyre.

lol, re the lazy bit.

Yes, I agree with the ratios and higher volume vs. standard tyre. (a slightly different story if you compare the same size tyres)

Also with higher volume tyres weight starts to become an issue (depends on the tyre of course)

Anyway I'm selling my 650B wheels and getting a set of these puppies

http://surlybikes.com/parts/wheels/dirt_wizard_26

• 1 month later...

Picked up some 'cheapie' 650b wheels today from my LBS and had Crossmark non tjoopless lying around so decided to 'convert' my Bianchi hardtail.

Fits okay, won't be great in mud but hey I don't have to ride it in mud :)

For those who'll think 'but why' the answer is just because I can :)

post-271-0-38127500-1399739183_thumb.jpg

Picked up some 'cheapie' 650b wheels today from my LBS and had Crossmark non tjoopless lying around so decided to 'convert' my Bianchi hardtail.

I have a Bianchi Kuma which I plan to convert as well. Rear clearance seems fine too

May I ask, how much did you pay for the wheelset ?

Can you take a picture of the clearance of the back wheel. I have a Bianchi and want to convert it as well.

Can you take a picture of the clearance of the back wheel. I have a Bianchi and want to convert it as well.

I can later but there is very (very) little at the bottom but plenty at the top if that makes sense. Like I said you not going to ride this bike in mud period :devil:

I can later but there is very (very) little at the bottom but plenty at the top if that makes sense. Like I said you not going to ride this bike in mud period :devil:

That's what I'm worried about as well, and I live in Cape Town.... I heard somewhere it rains here from time to time...

That's what I'm worried about as well, and I live in Cape Town.... I heard somewhere it rains here from time to time...

:w00t: :w00t: in that case don't do it! I have other bikes to ride if it rains or there's mud so no stress :thumbup:

• 3 years later...

Yes, def. love my Scalpel 650b and the Flash. I keep the Scalpel for the mountains, it really flies down hill and climbs a treat, and use my Flash for flatland events, like Dirtmax etc

My only problem has been tyres, will be moving away from Schwalbes next time around, and the choices are improving..

Hi there, Im thinking of using a 2011 dual suspension Scalpel 26er frame and converting to 650B (have a 650B hardtail) using current components and fork. What size rear wheel did you use as I have a 2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralph

Been riding 650 scalpel 2012 conversions for 5 years .

Only problem has been tires to fit rear ,usually touch chain stays

here's the list so far that work .

2.0 Sanguro,

2.0 Ralph

Honey badger

2 0 maxi Crossmark

Scalpel was particulary suitable, as in 26 form would collect rocks etc, on a frequent basis .

If your interested,I have available probably the last of the 2012 Scalpels Medium  ,been hanging in my attic for 18 months .recently converted .

Have just decided to ride the 2017 Scalpel  that's a full  29er .

Complete rig around 10kgs for around 21K.depending on component choice .

Archived