The Argument For Short Travel Bikes (article on Pinkbike)

wesley_r

I mean, would you have to wear a full face in enduro or is it optional. I believe full face lids are compulsory in some european enduro races. I guess it depends how hardcore the trail is!

AFAIK, free to choose.. SA Enduro, as you say, is different from what Europe has available.. I would buy a FF if I lived there

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I argue with people that ride short travel bikes all the time!

:lol:

But yeah, I do get where the author is coming from. I personally have an 8" DH beast, which gets rather dusty. My fun bike of choice is a 4x bike running 110mm front, 100mm rear. It's super responsive. I also play quite a bit on a 160mm bike.

As for the European way of life... enduro there.. I'd wear a FF. Even many of the XCers there wear FF and knee guards when doing down runs. And when one has ski lifts, and the breaking bumps are so bad they could shake your toenails off... an 8" bike (though not the bets for skill development) does help with confidence... which in itself, is a skill.

I argue with people that ride short travel bikes all the time!

laugh.png

But yeah, I do get where the author is coming from. I personally have an 8" DH beast, which gets rather dusty. My fun bike of choice is a 4x bike running 110mm front, 100mm rear. It's super responsive. I also play quite a bit on a 160mm bike.

As for the European way of life... enduro there.. I'd wear a FF. Even many of the XCers there wear FF and knee guards when doing down runs. And when one has ski lifts, and the breaking bumps are so bad they could shake your toenails off... an 8" bike (though not the bets for skill development) does help with confidence... which in itself, is a skill.

Indeed. My Hardteilenstein has the same HA as my (soon to be new) AM bike. Until I get the right fork, that is.

It's still a helluva fun bike to ride. And it improves my skill every time I ride it. And fall.

Beattbox is a good example.. He's liked your post Hairy coz he has a new 130mm 2013 Trek that he claims has unlocked hidden potential in him.. What was it before? 100mm?

Fact is, the new designs/technology offer better performance now in longer travel over what was previously thought to be found in lesser travel bikes. This could be why we can do more in less travel than DH rigs of a few years ago, or can do more in longer travel bikes than what was reserved to only short travel.

"E hugs" I am not making DH bikes or hardtails out to be any less than what they are, just stating the case for mid travel all purpose bikes of today being used for, well.. anything.

I thought he just liked my use of the word a Bizzilion

I thought he just liked my use of the word a Bizzilion

oh.. right, from moonbag era.. bizillion would be the correct word then

blush.png

Yes, my Hardteilenstein. In fact, that's its new name! Thanks Crow!

750mm bar, 30mm stem, 1x9, 150mm revelation teamed 2.5 super tackied piece of hardtail befokkedness. Just needs a dropper!

I have a very similar build;

740mm bar, 40mm stem, 1x10 (probably converting to SS to make me fitter), 150mm Revelation, 2.4 Mountain kings.

Dropper is the piece i want but not sure that they make 27.2mm onesthumbdown.gif

I have a very similar build;

740mm bar, 40mm stem, 1x10 (probably converting to SS to make me fitter), 150mm Revelation, 2.4 Mountain kings.

Dropper is the piece i want but not sure that they make 27.2mm onesthumbdown.gif

KS do... Check out their i900 dropper! I think it's only the 100mm version though.

And the best thing? They're available locally for just R 2k....

Otherwise - gravity dropper or the X fusion hi-lo, i think.

Guest Omega Man

Dropper is the piece i want but not sure that they make 27.2mm oneshttp://1.1.1.2/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/thumbdown.gif

KS make a 27.2 dropper. They are available locally from bikebits.co.za. R2300 which is a damn good price for a dropper post.

I ordered a KS Dropzone dropper from them on Tuesday and it got delivered yesterday to the office park I'm working at in Pretoria. Nicely made peice of kit and at a very good price. I paid R2050 which if you factor in delivery and VAT that you'd pay from an overseas supplier is significantly cheaper than anyone else.

Plus it has a local warranty which (let's be honest here) you want with a dropper post. Amped to try it out when I get home.

Oh and on that. I've got a Crank Brothers Joplin that I'll pay R500 to have taken off my hands. SUCH a piece of ****.

Edited by Omega Man

KS make a 27.2 dropper. They are available locally from bikebits.co.za. R2300 which is a damn good price for a dropper post.

I ordered a KS Dropzone dropper from them on Tuesday and it got delivered yesterday to the office park I'm working at in Pretoria. Nicely made peice of kit and at a very good price. I paid R2050 which if you factor in delivery and VAT that you'd pay from an overseas supplier is significantly cheaper than anyone else.

Plus it has a local warranty which (let's be honest here) you want with a dropper post. Amped to try it out when I get home.

Oh and on that. I've got a Crank Brothers Joplin that I'll pay R500 to have taken off my hands. SUCH a piece of ****.

Damn, well now that you guys have shown me I was wrong, it just seems rude for me not to order one todayclap.gif

Guest Omega Man

Damn, well now that you guys have shown me I was wrong, it just seems rude for me not to order one todayhttp://1.1.1.1/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif

That's the spirit. I like the remote resevoir on the 27.2 version. Very Moto.

That's the spirit. I like the remote resevoir on the 27.2 version. Very Moto.

Which bike do you think needs a dropper more (long term both will have): a downhill bike vs AM hardtail?

Guest Omega Man

Which bike do you think needs a dropper more (long term both will have): a downhill bike vs AM hardtail?

AM.

For the DH bike you are either pushing or being shuttled (or on a ski lift). So unless you a FCUKING strong or have a suuper chilled pedal up don't bother with a dropper on a dh bike. Believe me I tried to AM my dh bike and it was a complete waste of money. I'd say don't bother.

I ran a 34 on the front and a 36 was my big ring out back. I also ran a dropper.

The fact is the bike still weighs a kaakload and the geo is wrong for pedalling uphill and you lose a LOT of power through your pedal stroke. No matter what the guru's say. Just look at the shock while you are pedalling. that 1/2 inch of movement is energy going into the oil.

And then when you point it downhill your gearing sucks and you have an extra 300 grams of seatpost. Also if you run AM gearing the chainslap is just intollerable cos you have to run a long cage deralieur.

If you want to pedal your dh bike uphill the most efficient way is to stand and crank.

Edited by Omega Man

Ok, pay me R400 and I will take it off your hands, or at least try out.

AM. For the DH bike you are either pushing or being shuttled. So unless you a FCUKING strong or have a suuper chilled pedal up don't bother with a dropper on a dh bike. Believe me I tried to AM my dh bike and it was a complete waste of money. I'd say don't bother.

I ran a 34 on the front and a 36 was my big ring out back. I also ran a dropper.

The fact is the bike still weighs a kaakload and the geo is wrong for pedalling uphill and you lose a LOT of power through your pedal stroke. No matter what the guru's say. Just look at the shock while you are pedalling. that 1/2 inch of movement is energy going into the oil.

Awesome, so some more money saved!

Guest Omega Man

Ok, pay me R400 and I will take it off your hands, or at least try out.

Hehe. Jokes. I'm giving it to a friend. I hope it doesn't ruin the friendship.