The Argument For Short Travel Bikes (article on Pinkbike)

wesley_r

My joplin as starting to show signs that its going to k@k one of these days - can compress the post when its up full, and it creeps up a bit when its down full.

Was looking at the ks posts on bikebits what is so special about the lev that its almost double the price of the dropzone?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Was looking at the ks posts on bikebits what is so special about the lev that its almost double the price of the dropzone?

It's got 150mm of travel instead of 125 and the cable attachment is fixed so it doesn't move around. I bought a dropzone and it's not on a bike yet but it looks a quality bit of kit. My mate Richard has had his for more than 2 years and it's run faultlessly in that time.

Edited by Omega Man

Hehe. Jokes. I'm giving it to a friend. I hope it doesn't ruin the friendship.

Save the friendship then while you can and send it this way :)

It's got 150mm of travel instead of 125 and the cable attachment is fixed so it doesn't move around. I bought a dropzone and it's not on a bike yet but it looks a quality bit of kit. My mate Richard has had his for more than 2 years and it's run faultlessly in that time.

That is promising news on the post then!

Guest Omega Man

Save the friendship then while you can and send it this way http://1.1.1.4/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Someone else offered me 2 Darling beers for it. I might go that route. I might also keep it as a knobkierrie next to my bed but i don't want oil all over the carpet.

Guest Omega Man

That is promising news on the post then!

Ja. And he crashes A LOT! and the post has held up well. Certainly much better than he has. Hahaha. He says it's starting to stick a bit but he's never serviced it so i guess that expected.

My Joplin lasted precisely 4 rides before it started leaking and another 4 before it stopped pushing up at all. So you have to pull it up. It now slowly goes down from fully extended about 1/2 an inch. Then you pull it up again and repeat.

P.O.S.

Never buy a Crank Brothers anything. And if you get a crank brothers sticker don't put it on your car. It will peal off and probably take some paint with it.

Edited by Omega Man

Ja. And he crashes A LOT! and the post has held up well. Certainly much better than he has. Hahaha. He says it's starting to stick a bit but he's never serviced it so i guess that expected.

My Joplin lasted precisely 4 rides before it started leaking and another 4 before it stopped pushing up at all. So you have to pull it up. It now slowly goes down from fully extended about 1/2 an inch. Then you pull it up again and repeat.

P.O.S.

Never buy a Crank Brothers anything. And if you get a crank brothers sticker don't put it on your car. It will peal off and probably take some paint with it.

I learnt my CB lesson with their pedals.

P.O.S.

Long before that your car will breakdown for nothing, leak oil like it's a Landy (I know...), and suddenly costs more to maintain.

I learnt my CB lesson with their pedals.

1x broken wrist to remind me of their crap pedals.

EDIT: Or rather the crap bearings in ALL their products. Over-prized, overweight, over-design P's.O. bling S.

Edited by The Crow

Guest Omega Man

Long before that your car will breakdown for nothing, leak oil like it's a Landy (I know...), and suddenly costs more to maintain.

Hahahaha. Ja. Had a pair of 50/50's. They are called that cos there's a 50/50 chance something will fall off of them on your ride.

I've got my eye on the dropzone too, I think 125mm is enough for me. Will see how long the joplin lasts though before buying. (or maybe not...)

I got given a Joplin for free because it had done what they normally do. Cost me the total of R4.00 for new seals, ATF fluid instead of fork oil ( because its thicker ) and I put half the recommended air pressure in and I have had no problems with it... so far. Other than the odd having to "burp" it if I pick up the bike by the seat when its in the down position.

I can see why the crap though. There is only one little tiny rubber seal per sealing face and 70psi of pressure and the small key to keep it straight is totally rubbish . Not a quality item but it was free so I don't care. LOL

As for the long travel verse shorter travel debate. I am past the age doing really stupid things on bicycles so 140mm travel is actually more than enough for anything I am going to attempt ....here's the but....

But I bought an old DH bike to go do the local racing next year anyway just for the fun of it. If not why not.....clap.gif