Newbie help/advice

mRYellow

Hey guys

I'm looking to get into the sport of mountain biking.

Mostly recreational and for the fun of riding.

I'm 1.88cm tall and about 95kg so that would be very important in my bike buying decision.

I'm looking at buying a "used" bike. Bugdet between 3-6k

Thanx guys.

mRY

You can get a nice new bike for that money. Titan, Silverback, Check www.obike.co.za for new old stock of GT, Mongoose

mRYellow

I myself are a noob, so all I can do is give you my advice from a newbie point of view.

I started buying a specialized hardrock sport with v brakes, then upgraded to a Scott Aspect 10 26 er, after all this I took the plunge and bought a decent 29 er, but most importantly its the first bike I had fitted properly and Imho that alone is what made the biggest differerance. So ....

Get it fitted properly

Look at the Titan bikes in that price range, 29er imo. Get something with a lock out on the shock at the very least, helps on dem uphills

If you expect to ride a lot of off road discs are substantialy better

The one biggest improvement for me was getting fitter, and get a nice bunch to ride with.

I am sure the experts will help out her

Edited by Kanga

Thanx Kanga.

Will do some more research.

By fitting, u mean fitting for your build?

Yip have a good LBS make sure its the right size, right stem, seatpost etc etc

In my limited experience, a correctly sized and fitted 5K bike will more of a joy than an ill fitting 10K bike

Good luck

Edited by Kanga

What's your take a GIANT brand bikes?

Giant Anthem = thumbup1.gif . going to cost a bit more than your budget though - even second hand, i think.

Giants are generally well made and very good value for money. Their back up service and warranty on frames are also good. Giant is the biggest manufacturer of bike frames in the world and make the frames for a whole lot of other brands in their factory in Taiwan. Their range is from basic bikes (in your budget) to things most of us can only buy if we win the lotto.