how long do shocks and suspension forks last?

rudi-h

I had my Manitou Black serviced for the first time after 4 years and it felt like a brand new fork! It cost 500 Zars and they replaced the seals and oil. I cannot see how they can charge you R2500 for a service. Maybe the LBS knows that you only service your bike every 2 years so they need to make up for all the lost income

I'm in 2 minds on the service/don't service approach on forks and shocks. I reckon that if you just ride them until they die and then buy a new one from CRC when they have a special, it'll cost you about the same as if you had them serviced by your lbs. If you do the servicing yourself, then it's a different story.

Thanks for the feedback.

I hoped there might be some baseline figures on the lifespan of shocks/forks, but it seems that it doesn't work that way. I should get the quote later today or tomorrow, so might ask for more advice once I see the pricetag.

For the last while my rear shock loses pressure and my fork leaks oil on the rebound side. I took it in for a shock service yesterday and indications are it wont come cheap.

The stantions are still looking good, so I hope its only seals etc.

Are shocks and suspension forks "like new" after a proper service or do these things have a limited life? I guess the real question: Is it worthwhile to spend R2k on servicing these items?

They have a limited life if not serviced regularly. Fox forks are particularly prone to stanchion damage, especially the 29" models. They're so bad I think the company should do a recall. If not serviced regularly, dirt gets in behind the wiper and forms a grinding paste with the oil that eats away at the stanchions just below the wipers. It is usually invisible to the casual observer. Once the stanchions are rough, the bushes quickly go the same way.

The user manual will recommend a service interval of between 40 and 60 hours, depending on the conditions.

Shocks have a slightly longer service life if the shock is protected from back wheel spray.

I'm doing a fork/shock service workshop on Saturday morning. Come learn how to do this yourself. I'll post details in Tech Q&A later today.

I'm in 2 minds on the service/don't service approach on forks and shocks. I reckon that if you just ride them until they die and then buy a new one from CRC when they have a special, it'll cost you about the same as if you had them serviced by your lbs. If you do the servicing yourself, then it's a different story.

Your statement is true to a certain extent.

I just think it's so damn easy to do & only takes you a while the very first time you do it.

I do a seals & oil change regularly. Get the enduro seals! The outer seal keeps the dirt out & the inner seals keep the oil where it belongs!

The rest (inner / damper) doesn't need servicing that regularly. The inner seals (O-rings) doesn't die out that fast.

It's the outer seals that makes the big difference & like said the dust seals should keep out dirt & if they don't & you just ride your fork / shock then it's going "bye-bye"!

Thanks for the feedback.

I hoped there might be some baseline figures on the lifespan of shocks/forks, but it seems that it doesn't work that way. I should get the quote later today or tomorrow, so might ask for more advice once I see the pricetag.

Not really.

How many km's does a car's engine last?

It's a very relative question.

They have a limited life if not serviced regularly. Fox forks are particularly prone to stanchion damage, especially the 29" models. They're so bad I think the company should do a recall. If not serviced regularly, dirt gets in behind the wiper and forms a grinding paste with the oil that eats away at the stanchions just below the wipers. It is usually invisible to the casual observer. Once the stanchions are rough, the bushes quickly go the same way.

The user manual will recommend a service interval of between 40 and 60 hours, depending on the conditions.

Shocks have a slightly longer service life if the shock is protected from back wheel spray.

I'm doing a fork/shock service workshop on Saturday morning. Come learn how to do this yourself. I'll post details in Tech Q&A later today.

Just do this course!!!

You learn TONS by just communicating with Johan let alone a workshop!

@ Johan: Dankie vir die seels & die goeie advies! (Jacques van Bethlehem / Vrystaat)

At the price you mentioned (R2500) you might as well have a browse in the classifieds and get something else. Btw, did you mention what fork you have?

Hi Johan

Sounds great and I would love to join. I might be tied up at work depending on how things go this week, but I'll check to see where and when's and let you know as soon as you post the details.

So i just vomited in my throat when I got the quote...

R3400 odd for the fork of which 2/3rd are for a new "fork crown assembly".

Is there perhaps a Fox part store where one can buy these components?

I service my Fox Float 32 100RL and Fox Foat RP23 regularly and they have lasted 5 years.Stanchions are fine

The problem with the 29er 32 is the flex.Either a 34 or a Lefty

Wow! CWC are having a sale on forks...

First off, get all your components and get out of that bike shop and stay out.

Secondly buy a rockshox sid RLT from cwc for R3700. You can thank me later :P.