Cyclist Breaking the Law to be Fined......

ZakAttak

Quite interested to read, especially after us being told in here how we should obey the rules of the road like all other vehicles, that we now have a story telling us that we are not like all other vehicles!

No bicycles allowed at e-toll protest

http://www.news24.co...rotest-20121206

I think it would be more due to the protest being mostly on National Roadways?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I had a chop of a motorist get cross at me because I am crossing the road when I have a green pedestrian light on a pedestrian crossing while he want to turn.

About half and hour prior to this I again had a motorist narrowly miss me while she blasted through a red traffic light .... the other cars stopped at the light and I set off with this car blasting through in the outside lane at decent speed...

Then somewhere between the above there I am cycling on the cycle lane, there is a stop sign for cars ... Mr car driver looks at me, slows down a bit and then accelerates again in front of me and into the traffic he goes. I shout hey, he shows a Zap Sign.

Needless to say I am getting a little irate by now with this behavior.

On a side note. The day before I say 2 x ambulances racing somewhere (Afternoon) and yesterday I saw 3 x ambulances and a police car racing somewhere .... people drive like idiots and more often than not others pay for their insolence.

I think you point out the exact reason for the outcry by cyclists.for safer roads. Drivers are becoming more reckless to all kinds of road users (other drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, runners, etc.) and absolutely nothing is being done. A prime example is pedestrian crossings...there is no way you can cross one of those now days if there is a car coming! If there isn't a robot at the crossing cars won't stop for you even though they will be held accountable...

As you said, the driving idiots are often the cause of others' pain and often suffer little to no pain themselves.

I think it would be more due to the protest being mostly on National Roadways?

It seems there will be marchers.

And are tractors allowed on national roads? Genuinely asking as I'm not sure.

As far as I know you need a certain size engine to access a highway for example i remember not being allowed on my 50cc bike at school but im not sure if the minimum speed limit would then apply to the tractor

Guest ctMTBer

I am not sure pointing to other faults is the way to go, the attitude of "they" do this or "they" do that, so why target me isnt very helpful. Surely its better to say, "I dont break those laws so actually the issue is a non starter to me"

I always point to the "Broken window" campaign in New York, where Mayor Giuliani said "We dont differentiate between crimes, a crime is a crime, and we have zero tolerance to any crime, so even if you break a window we will catch you and prosecute you." - and it worked, 15 years ago Times Square was a pimp infested hell hole, today its as safe as anything and families wonder around in the middle of the night.

Breaking a law is simply a sign of disrespect for those around you, we cant always change others attitudes and actions, but we can ensure our own are in order.

It is not about breaking the law or not.....this whole "fine" thing is just a spin story.....the goverment will fine 1 or 2 cyclist and then move on to the next thing.....I am all for law, I am just sad that we do not have authorities that actually "enforce" them....accross the board.

I am still asking.....why are they going on about this new law now when they still have not done ANYTHING about the GA busses on Plattekloof road?

My irritation is that they have spend time to make this new law, but they did not spend time to make a new law wrt busses and taxis?

Edited by ctMTBer

It is not about breaking the law or not.....this whole "fine" thing is just a spin story.....the goverment will fine 1 or 2 cyclist and then move on to the next thing.....I am all for law, I am just sad that we do not have authorities that actually "enforce" them....accross the board.

I am still asking.....why are they going on about this new law now when they still have not done ANYTHING about the GA busses on Plattekloof road?

My irritation is that they have spend time to make this new law, but they did not spend time to make a new law wrt busses and taxis?

Amen!

Not as far as I know, but I was there today (go slow) and there were no tractors, bicycles, mobile oil leaks, people on rollerblades or any other odd form of transportation.

It was basically just cars riding very slowly. Well at the OR Tambo one anyway.

Fair enough, I hear your point. Although I dont really think much will come of it, SA is great at making laws that cant be policed, they do it daily.

i just want them to confiscate teh bikes of the fools riding against traffic in the emergency lane on marine drive in the morning. There's nothing wrong with the bicycle lane.

Why mention me in this? It disparages what I do for a living. Your experience (opinion) is that "the media" (if this was medicine, you'd think published information in the country's diverse media industry is autologous) misrepresents "facts". To make such a far-ranging accusation, should I assume that you are the custodian of facts? Where do you get your facts from? My post is not going to sell any newspapers, so would it be misrepresenting things to say that the authors of criticisms of the media like you - presented as fact, not opinion - are sad keyboard conspiracy theorists who can't get laid? Fact or opinion?

Huh?????huh.png

• 2 weeks later...