Buying New vs Building vs Second Hand

Maldino

personally, I'd build. But that's just me. I'm currently building my next bike, after buying / selling a couple more that I had.

Got the frame I want as a second hand item (some VEEEERY good deals on here and elsewhere, and don't worry about warrantees - insurance will pay on breakages 99% of the time, depending on insurer) and then with CWC & Chain Reaction Cycles / Probikeshop.com / Superstar components / Merlin cycles offering fantastic deals on the web, it's a lekker time to build exactly the bike YOU want.

Buying second hand is probably the most cost effective option..although you may not get exactly what you want

You could get exactly what you want ... it may just take a bit longer.

Cost-effective is def. Used, bikes loose up to 50% of their value after a year, and some good (legit) deals come up here. And you can always upgrade components as they need replacing. Don't be shy to ask for advice here either, although you will more than likely get more than one diametrically opposed opinions.

New: if you really want the prestige of the latest model, and are well heeled, go for it.

Building: I like building because you can put together a bike just exactly the way you want it. Takes time & patience though, bits can be sourced here and on-line at good prices, still cheaper than new though. I am currently piecing together my 1st carbon mtb, Scalpel 650b-style. Brand new frame sourced here, some bits I need/needed have come up here, got a lot off e-bay, other parts locally from CWC, Buycycles and others. Try to support locally where I can but if the price diffs is substantial I have to offshore. Also bigger product range overseas. Built up my road and AM bike the same way. Its also very educational, you get to see how everything works / fit together but you also have to invest in the right tools for the job.

Edit: typos

Edited by kosmonooit