Walkers on Single Track in Tokai

Lone_Ranger

That's your point of view bru. And while I share it myself the vast majority of mountain bikers in SA (if 29er sales are anything to go by) aren't interested in pinning single track in a downward direction.

Also. It's should not be a debate. IMBA rules say that rider going up have right of way unless the trail specifically state the opposite.

And that is the point of the debate - to get the signage on these routes to overrule the IMBA rules because they just make no sense.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see that this is getting seen to, but as we can see not everyone agrees on the issues.

And that is the point of the debate - to get the signage on these routes to overrule the IMBA rules because they just make no sense.

Not much point debating it, the 'make no sense' IMBA rules are the best default there is to cover the multitude of trails. If you reread them you'll actually see that they cater for exactly what you're suggesting - directional trails.

Attitude is way more important than following rules. If you go up singletrack at busy times then you're just looking for trouble. I enjoy the challenge of riding up singletrack, but don't enjoy it when it is busy no matter who is doing the stopping. So it's very easy to self regulate.

I can't remember if the Faerie Garden is staying bidirectional, it works fine that way as long as common sense is applied.

Dictator, if only it was in each persons capacity to self regulate.

What do you guy think of uni direction during peak times? I've suggested this before but I think that thread was a bit too heated to be heard.

What do you guy think of uni direction during peak times? I've suggested this before but I think that thread was a bit too heated to be heard.

I think it just become too confusing then. Is it peak time now, or in 5 minutes, is my watch wrong etc?

I reckon just keep it simple. If a trail is DH/AM specific it should say so at the head and tail. If no runner are allowed, then it should say this.

If the runners want us to share our trails with them, then it should be reciprocated by letting us have theirs, like Elephant tra.......dooo dooo doooooodooodoooo

Guest Omega Man

True. The problem with self regulation is that people expect others to self regulate while they can do as they please.

Regarding the trails.

The directional trails need to be directional AT ALL TIMES. If you introduce ANY ambiguity whatsoever you will just be looking for trouble and then it will just go back to the chaos that it is now. It's hard enough getting riders to respect the existing signage. You need to remember that the average human being is nothing more that a shaved orangutang.

Rules need to be clear cut without any ambiguity at all.

I must say I don't mind bi-directional trails, especially cross country types like Faerie Glen. The concern is about the walkers, who have no idea about mtb rules. No matter what rules are applied, they won't be effective as long as people are walking on the single tracks.

I agree with Omega Man, rules need to apply at all times, changing the rules during " peak" times is just going to create confusion.

I must say I don't mind bi-directional trails, especially cross country types like Faerie Glen. The concern is about the walkers, who have no idea about mtb rules. No matter what rules are applied, they won't be effective as long as people are walking on the single tracks.

I agree with Omega Man, rules need to apply at all times, changing the rules during " peak" times is just going to create confusion.

That a place in Pretoria? You perhaps talking about the Faerie Garden in Tokai?

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone walk or run a new track before they ride it? ... often done with motorcycles... just wondering about mtb?

Does anyone walk or run a new track before they ride it? ... often done with motorcycles... just wondering about mtb?

Sometimes, but then only certain sections - get off the bike, take bike off the trail and inspect. Not walking up and down all the time, or walking long sections at a time. Besides - that's still in order to ride it.

In terms of building then riding, new trails are generally closed while building is going on, and then people walk all over them.

Point is - walkers should stay on the trails dedicated to hiking. Not those few (now fewer) dedicated to MTB. If you want to walk a section of trail, to scope it out or something, then stay off the trail when riders approach and keep a look out AT ALL TIMES.

I know Pain or Shine often works on the trails, and that necessitates walking on certain sections - in order to maintain them. But that shouldn't mean that they are opened to walkers. That would open up trails to a whole other user group, wholely changing the dynamic of the trail and how much punishment it gets.