Port Elizabeth MTB rides

deca300

I could join you for the Jbay park, but I am very very very very far from pro....I do gather some real momentum downhill though. I have a mate who is a monster, came third at a recent Longmore event, so if you give us a date I might get him to join so you snakes can go play in the bush whilst I putter around and drink coffee/beerthumbup1.gif

I am also keen on having a look at the 17th, sounds like fun thumbup1.gif

Wait mnr who said I am a race snake ;-) will do the 17th ride and next weekend maybe jbay cycle park....

Beer after the ride sounds like a yum idea!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best places to ride in PE area is Hayterdale trails. Lots of great singletrack, built by avid mountain bikers. The entire farm is dedicated to mtb trails.

The trail is close to the Addo main camp. You can have a brilliant post ride lunch at Lenmore on your way back to PE.

My second choice trail is Woodridge College XCO course.

For an endurance session Longmore forest will provide a very good workout.

Edited by Brian Fantana

Here is how Norm Hudlin looks currently, about 6km. As others have said, a lot of the back part of the farm is now closed off. Still a fun course to ride.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc413/JacquesMTB/NormHudlin59km.png

There is a guy (Grant) who has a farm near the woodridge course that was also fun to ride, but the last time we were there (early in the year) it was very sandy and they were busy cutting down trees for other developments. A friend told me that they might still fix it up and then it should be a nice place to ride again.

Here is how Norm Hudlin looks currently, about 6km. As others have said, a lot of the back part of the farm is now closed off. Still a fun course to ride.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc413/JacquesMTB/NormHudlin59km.png

There is a guy (Grant) who has a farm near the woodridge course that was also fun to ride, but the last time we were there (early in the year) it was very sandy and they were busy cutting down trees for other developments. A friend told me that they might still fix it up and then it should be a nice place to ride again.

Yes, the course on Grant's farm is the Thornhill XCO course, very nice. We had quite a few XCO provincials there. The problem is many of the PE mountain bikers are gravel road riders, which means that XCO courses like Woodridge and Thornhill do not get the support they derserve. Which might be why the Thornhill course have not been fixed yet.

Wait mnr who said I am a race snake ;-) will do the 17th ride and next weekend maybe jbay cycle park....

Beer after the ride sounds like a yum idea!

Hi Arete, i'm keen to join you if you go to jbay bike park. I've been wanting to ride there for awhile now.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any info on the Hopewell courses? Would be keen to take the family out there but with a wife and 2 kids under 12 I'm worried it's too technical.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any info on the Hopewell courses? Would be keen to take the family out there but with a wife and 2 kids under 12 I'm worried it's too technical.

A bit of a late reply, but anyways. I don't have contact info, but I think there is a Facebook page now. Did the 20km loop on the opening day. The trail is quite open (no forest sections) dry and dusty and has some nice long uphills, but nothing really technical, lots of kids rode it. I heard that the longer 35km / 40km part does have a technical climb / descent.

THanks - I emailed Lex and got all the info, For anyone else that is interested - these are the routes:

• 16km Out & Back route (non-technical)
  • 12km Route (more technical than 16km route but not too bad apparently)
  • 35km Route (technical with climbing)