best way to determine seatpost diameter?

MTBc

I have a silverback vida 5 frame (2012), and am looking for a new seatpost, but not 100% sure of the diameter. I've been to the silverback site, and don't see the spec there - http://www.silverbacklab.com/2011_website_SILVERBACK/vida5.htm

30.9?

Here's the a pic of my frame: https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=hubmarket&attach_id=154879

Don't have the bike with me at the moment, so can't physically measure it. looking for a 400mm post for it (if anyone has one lying around, pm please :D )

Or try and figure out what the clamp size is of the front der...

[Aahhh - don't have the bike with you? Phone your a dealer?]

Cool!

What did you end up doing?

i was kinda hoping no-one would ask that. ended up having the spec's printed on the post as MCipollini suggested. I had just never raised it above the max height mark before blush.png

its a 31.6 x 400mm, but still a bit short, I need about 20mm extra on it, but worried about damage of raising it above the max mark. Probably need to upgrade the frame, its a silverback medium, which equates to 16.5", so probably need a large...

I've read that if you are going higher than 400mm, it could cause frame damage due to the amount of leverage, though if I could get hold of a 420mm, that might just be enough.

i was kinda hoping no-one would ask that. ended up having the spec's printed on the post as MCipollini suggested. I had just never raised it above the max height mark before blush.png

its a 31.6 x 400mm, but still a bit short, I need about 20mm extra on it, but worried about damage of raising it above the max mark. Probably need to upgrade the frame, its a silverback medium, which equates to 16.5", so probably need a large...

I've read that if you are going higher than 400mm, it could cause frame damage due to the amount of leverage, though if I could get hold of a 420mm, that might just be enough.

Ha - all been there, at some point.

Yip - be velly velly careful with the seatpost, especially if (like me) you are big-boned! wink.png

We naturally produce so much power that failure of the ugly kind becomes a real possibility if the seatpost doesn't have enough in the tube...

Get the bike down to your lbs - they'll very quickly be able to tell you if you're running one too small...

Good luck!

Yip - be velly velly careful with the seatpost, especially if (like me) you are big-boned! wink.pngWe naturally produce so much power that failure of the ugly kind becomes a real possibility if the seatpost doesn't have enough in the tube...Get the bike down to your lbs - they'll very quickly be able to tell you if you're running one too small...

thanks for the headsup thumbup1.gif

Found a calculator. http://www.ebicycles...r/mountain-bike and 1 or 2 others too.. definitely seems like I should be on a 19" or so, and the link above also suggests a 180mm crank (current is 175mm).Christmas shopping time for myself biggrin.png

Edited by BrettMTB