Convert 2x10 to 1x10

jatho

Yeah I might just end up doing that, looks like it might be the better way forward. Current cranks are SRAM XO.

Your cheapest option would then be to buy the downhill spider, unless you want to be the bees knees and ship in this baby.

http://www.homebrewedcomponents.com/sc_images/x0hires.jpg

Edited by wheelerdealer

Only drove it in Paarl, but here is a 400mm piece of singletrack with lots of ruts, roots and very jumpy terrain, went down there a few times now where I only heard the clattering of the chain slapping on the frame and it stayed on all the time.

Chain on it's limits, what's that?

Hmmm. Only way that would happen is if you had a type 2 RD, with a top chain guide. And 400mm ain't a very big section! w00t.gif

Chain on it's limit - all slack removed so that when the RD is in the lowest gear (32 / 34 / 36 / whatever) it is at its very limit in terms of length. In other words, it's almost too short, but then not. That way the chain is always under tension and the RD doesn't have to do as much work to keep it tensioned.

Your cheapest option would then be to buy the downhill spider, unless you want to be the bees knees and ship in this baby.

http://www.homebrewedcomponents.com/sc_images/x0hires.jpg

Thats cool, came across it Googling, but its not cheap.

Hmmm. Only way that would happen is if you had a type 2 RD, with a top chain guide. And 400mm ain't a very big section! w00t.gif

Chain on it's limit - all slack removed so that when the RD is in the lowest gear (32 / 34 / 36 / whatever) it is at its very limit in terms of length. In other words, it's almost too short, but then not. That way the chain is always under tension and the RD doesn't have to do as much work to keep it tensioned.

Haha, yeah true, chain is the right size (3 links overlap when on biggest and smallest gear). Running type 1.

Been lucky I guess, but I have to say the rd is very tight. Anyway, if the chain doesn't fall of on those roots I highly doubt it will fall of when in a xc race so I am happy.

Those chain tensioners are expensive hey? R600 or so icluding mounting brackets and all, might as well use a fd or a road fd for the weight weenies.

Thats cool, came across it Googling, but its not cheap.

On homebrewed they are around $45, but they take forever to ship them here. Looks damn sick though thumbup1.gif .

Haha, yeah true, chain is the right size (3 links overlap when on biggest and smallest gear). Running type 1.

Been lucky I guess, but I have to say the rd is very tight. Anyway, if the chain doesn't fall of on those roots I highly doubt it will fall of when in a xc race so I am happy.

Those chain tensioners are expensive hey? R600 or so icluding mounting brackets and all, might as well use a fd or a road fd for the weight weenies.

Nah, you can get the Blackspire Stinger for approx R 250 - R 300 locally. Mount it to the BB and hey presto.

• 7 months later...

Reading through this and the other 1x10 thread (https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/114999-converting-from-3x9-to-1x10/page__st__16), it seems that if I'm running an XT rd, then it should be compatible with a 1x10 setup... correct?

Looking at chainrings for use with an XT crank, the Dartmore Totem chainring looks like a win (also been looking at homebrewed alu, but not sure of local availability). is the Dartmore Simple Chain Guide sufficient? Not sure of whether to go with tensioner + guide in 1 or whether a straightforward bb-mounted guide will do. Also looking at chainrings (for use with an XT crank). Apparently wolf tooth's chainrings don't need a guide, anyone running one of these? http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/products/104-bcd-chainrings.

You think? 11-42 is massive. dunno how popular sram's xx1 11s was...

Edited by Captain Cheesy

Also looking at chainrings (for use with an XT crank). Apparently wolf tooth's chainrings don't need a guide, anyone running one of these?

I'm running the wolftooth 34t up front on an XT 2x10 crankset with ZEE clutch derraileur and 34-11 cassette.

Did Mankele avalanche this past weekend with it. No chain slap whatsoever and no chain drops, and some of the terrain there is pretty gnarly.

And you can get this setup working for a touch over R1,5k