On the way back from the FastOne

Sabre484

I'm probably opening a can of worms here but coming back from the fast one I was shocked to see so many cyclist on the highway back towards Alberton.

And this time around it was not just one club but various ones. There was even a guy without a Helmet.Thumbs%20Down And all this going on while large coal trucks travel down that stretch.

We are preaching safety etc and become upset when someone gets knocked over. But the prominent clubs allow their members to do this.

We saw this while going out to fetch one of our riders that came down.

When we were busy going back out of the route we came across a big bunch of Neotel riders going back on the same route as opposed to using the highway...ClapClap

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that there are guys that had to cycle back. Our club had two van's with trailers. Plus then of course the team cars...but we even spot one guy wearing our club kit.

Angry

We had a route back which did not go on the highway at all (thanks ewep). Was 80km back to Nasrec and we could even stop at the Circus for cofee and a snack.

Sabre, you are not going to stop that.  Widget posted about some guys on the R59 a while ago, JRA.  There are alternatives though, but these riders will only wake up when someone has been hit by a truck!

NP Ian.  Hope you enjoyed the ride.  The road can be a bit of a b|tch if the wind is on.  I usually ride this road when going to/coming from Vanderbijl and I've never had any problems.

I agree. Its not on that riders just ride down the highway. Not only is it dangerous, but it makes us look like pricks. And thats all we need. Big deal, we did a race...that does not make us super important.

Ride the back roads...

I don't have a problem with the chaps riding back on the highway, as long as there's a support vehicle behind them... If it's some chap on his own with no one and no support... then it's really stoopit!

Its even more stupid to have a following vehicle. The emergency lane is for emergencies, not cyclists.

Its illegal for the riders to be there in the first place, and now there is a potentially dangerous situation with a car blocking the lane as well?

I know it's illegal but face it! It's gonna happen in 2009, 2010, 2011 etc, so live with it! It's not peak hour traffic... Sunday, 08:00AM? Come on.

For future reference: Here'e the route we took.

Instead of jumping on the highway, proceed straight and head into town and out the other side.  Take the R82 through Walkerville and stay on this road all the way to Southgate.  Nasrec is no more than 3km's from Southgate. 

Total distance =62km.

Jason thats not the attitudeto have. I know what your saying, but you have to abide by the rules. Trust me, nobody wants to see a post "TCS run over on highway"

Guest Michelle

The stupid thing is that the motorists will have less of an issue with you if you're on the highway in the emergency lane than if a whole bunch of you were taking a small single lane road.

Jason thats not the attitudeto have. I know what your saying' date=' but you have to abide by the rules. Trust me, nobody wants to see a post "TCS run over on highway"
[/quote']

Tinkoff Computer Systems are in town?

Cyclenut, I would rather take the highway than that road!!!  When the sister still worked at Kopanong Hospital that strech of road (Vereeniging to Walkerville) was called the weekend death stretch.  No ways!!!

I doubt that Michelle. I heard a lot of complaints about riders being on the highway on Sunday. And I even saw bunches on the highway on saturday morning, obviously on their way back from registration.

Fact is, if it were acceptable you would not have to justify this on the HUB. Its dangerous and gives us a bad name.

Jason thats not the attitudeto have. I know what your saying' date=' but you have to abide by the rules. Trust me, nobody wants to see a post "TCS run over on highway"
[/quote'] GreyOwl my son... Listen and listen to me carefully now LOLWink, some cyclists will always ride 2 or 3 abreast, will always skip traffic lights when they red at 4 AM in the morning even stop streets and will always ride back on the highway after the Hyper in 2009, 2010, 2011 etc...

It's not going to change. I did not ride on the highway... Had the bike on the rack and got home to watch the first ball of the ODI between SA and West Indies... I understand your point and frustrations... Now understand me and don't frustrate me Tongue