Dualie or Hardtail?

Jigghead

Maybe test the bikes before you buy them so you can get a feel? I must say that descents on a 26" soft tail at like 50km/h is great fun much better than a hard tail in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to the Barberton (end of January) and Sabie (end of February) races to try out my bike in racing conditions. The Barberton with the 15Km long jeep track climb (at about kilometre 6) will be easier, I assume, but the following 3 - 4 km's after the water table at the summit, will be interesting - fast, winding switch backs, littered with with loose rocks (refered to by some as baby heads). I know I've managed to gun down that part on my D/s in the past, but might have to use a bit more caution on the H/t.

See you at Barberton for the 75 km. I'll be on a 26 ds but last year did it on a 26 ht. both will do fine there as its not technical but has a wee bit of climbing (2300 m)!

Go ride them, everyone's opinion is different. I did Berg and Bush on a ht and I'm not a fit rider. Had no issues. Was told by others I was crazy though.

The Jan 2013 bicycling mag has a very nice decision tree when deciding on the optimal bike. Have a look at that...but basically if you not a race snake and in it for the enjoyment, then a trail bike would be best, which basically points to a DS. i recently switched from 26ht to 26ds and wow, what a difference, did some farm roads today which i could possibly describe as a road fro hell (super corrugated) and i cant even fathom how a ht must have felt. The 29er ds would prop handle it even betterthan my 26ds. Many of the dualies can pretty much lock out the back suspension if eeded and i use that function a lot but when it gets rough, nothing beats the ds ito comfort.

Quite a big leap connecting a trail bike to a DS. There are many awesome HT trail bikes and just as many awesome DS trail bikes. But just because it's a DS doesn't make it a good trail bike, or a trail bike at all - lots of hardcore racing snake DS bikes out there.

Maybe test the bikes before you buy them so you can get a feel? I must say that descents on a 26" soft tail at like 50km/h is great fun much better than a hard tail in my opinion.

Go ride them, everyone's opinion is different. I did Berg and Bush on a ht and I'm not a fit rider. Had no issues. Was told by others I was crazy though.

What Trivium & Ratty said. Ride as many options as possible. That's the best way to decide.

I went up to Richards Bay 4 months ago, and eventually decieded to leave the 26DS and take my 26HT,it was totally suited for the flat sandy track and dirt road for training on.However when I came back I rode the Eston 60km on the DS and I really think for most a DS is first choice if only having one bike.

I would like to try a 650b DS some time,not much choice thou at the mo,as few avaiable.

Quite a big leap connecting a trail bike to a DS. There are many awesome HT trail bikes and just as many awesome DS trail bikes. But just because it's a DS doesn't make it a good trail bike, or a trail bike at all - lots of hardcore racing snake DS bikes out there.

Yep, you are right although i have never seen a HT trail bike before but i take your word for it. The bicycling mag also only showed DS trail bikes but they could be biased as well. The point i was trying to make is that the more suspension, the more comfortable ride you will have and only the real race serious guys should (in my biased opinion) go for HT bikes. Of course the HT lends itself for better value for money option and each to his own. If it was me, i would rather save some more and then buy a DS or buy a semi decent DS and then upgrade along the way.

Canfield

Kingdom

Cotic

Kona

2Souls

Ragley

Chumba

ALL make HT 29r trail machines.

My personal favourite being the Kingdom Brigante.

Check them out.

Edited by Ryanpmb

Yep, you are right although i have never seen a HT trail bike before but i take your word for it. The bicycling mag also only showed DS trail bikes but they could be biased as well. The point i was trying to make is that the more suspension, the more comfortable ride you will have and only the real race serious guys should (in my biased opinion) go for HT bikes. Of course the HT lends itself for better value for money option and each to his own. If it was me, i would rather save some more and then buy a DS or buy a semi decent DS and then upgrade along the way.

My 26" HT had a 150mm fork on the front. Was an awesome bike to ride!

Canfield

Kingdom

Cotic

Kona

2Souls

Ragley

Chumba

ALL make HT 29r trail machines.

My personal favourite being the Kingdom Brigante.

Check them out.

Add Momsen to this list if you not into unusual so called boutique brands.