Can you be to big to ride...

deca300

Hey guys. I see that like 90 percent of cyclists are skinny guys. I really got into cycling this year. I do a lot of weight training, got an injury then took some time off and just cycled to do something. Now I'm hooked to cycling, mostly off road and I gymming again. I'm 1.76m and weight is 94kg. Is this bad? Would I still be able to perform? Get better? I'd like to do more competitions. But does this put me back?

Happy new year!!!

I was at 118kg and 1.75 when I started riding....just get a strong bike with strong wheels. Set yourself goals as to when you will up grade. For you, something like "at 90 kg I will get a carbon frame" although most components except lightweight wheels will carry you fine enough. Fitnees and hills are your nemesis now, unless you are on the down part of the hillclap.gif

With a profile name like deca300 I'm guessing you're pretty ripped + low body fat already? You should be quite safe from any doping control too, unless they start testing mid- back-markers whistling.gif

Your focus is on body building, so what's your real focus for cycling? You want to keep your muscle size and just use the bike for cardio, or do you want change your focus completely and really drop weight to become a faster rider?

I am 94kg and 1.9m tall and did a 3hour 3min Argus this year so even though the weight makes it more diffifult, you can still be somewhat competitive. I was 113kgs when I started cycling again in 2007 so the cycling has certainly helped me lose weight even though my BMI is 26 (overweight), my body fat is around 7%. Muscle is heavier than fat.

Make sure you have strong wheels. My first bike had poor quailty spokes and I had to change them rather quickly.

Hey guys. I see that like 90 percent of cyclists are skinny guys. I really got into cycling this year. I do a lot of weight training, got an injury then took some time off and just cycled to do something. Now I'm hooked to cycling, mostly off road and I gymming again. I'm 1.76m and weight is 94kg. Is this bad? Would I still be able to perform? Get better? I'd like to do more competitions. But does this put me back?

Happy new year!!!

Head on to MTBR.com and check out the Clydesdales sub-forum if you want to see big guys ride.

Personally sitting at 1.83m and 102kg.

Thanks for the replies guys. Lol @tombeej bf at like 10 percent. I did use the bike for cardio. But enjoying it too much now. I don't want to be a pro but just be able to do races and not suck at it, finish with good times etc. But still keep the muscle size

For every 2 kg you drop you will be roughly 30 seconds faster on an elevated ride. You really do notice it, I've gained 5kg in the holidays (now 72kg at 1.77m) and my times are already significantly slower even though I've been training throughout. Just too much drinking and Christmas indulgences.

Big guys descend like cycling gods....

+1.

Guy in our club went down Eeufees at 107 just because he weighed 110 at that time. Compare this to the average descent speed on that downhill of 80-85.

Try track cycling if you really want an adrenaline rush. It should suit your build.

Edited by Cippo

Big guys descend like cycling gods....

........ and the boep makes you more aerodynamic...... not sure what the UCI says about that????

I was also asking muself the same question. I did some bodybuilding the last couple of years (not competing) and started 2 weeks ago with mtbing weighting in at 96kg and 1.83m. Totally love it now and probably the best investment I did. Enjoy the cycling, nothing wrong with your weight.