GoPro resolution and Frame rates

awesme

Hi guys

Just interested in hearing what everyone is running and experiencing?

My findings so far.

I ran the default (as shipped) 1440@48fps and it produced approx 16GB/hour via the 4 files.

I'm using a MAC so that then exploded via conversion to mov file format as 80GB, thats 100GB approx per hour,

the battery seems to be just past half, implying 2 hours per charge,

2 hours video footage 32GB MD SDD card,

32 GB source files and 200GB mov to work with, ouch... :S

Thats some large numbers. Just wondering what the quality will be at a lower setting, need to manage the file sizes, running out of HDD space quickly and if the high resolution is not needed then I'd gladly drop lower.

Gonna try 960@30fps today/tomorrow and see what I end with.

G

Edited by awesme

I've changed my Hero3 to the one below 960, 720 or something i think. I don't see the need to record at the max rate.

Hero3 battery lasts about 2h20

And the frames per second?

G

I've changed my Hero3 to the one below 960, 720 or something i think. I don't see the need to record at the max rate.

Hero3 battery lasts about 2h20

hmm

ok, that is about double the default settings values then.

thanks

G

would have to check but i think 2h20 on 960 was about 16gb and 1h40 on 720 was about 13gb

i'm on Windows. only just got it, so i'm still figuring it all out.

correction 720, 1h40 was just under 8GB

ahh, ok, the new 720 number makes more sense, the 13GB looked a bit out of place.

Windows, nice you don't have to convert, you can work with the native mp4 format, def helps

G

i'm on Windows. only just got it, so i'm still figuring it all out.

correction 720, 1h40 was just under 8GB

Sorry, bit of a hijack, but does anyone know if and when the battery backpack for the GoPro 3's will be in SA stores?

The 2H battery life (without Wi-Fi on!) is a bit of a buzz kill at the moment ...

Havent tried the gp3 yet, but with the 960 up to the hd hero2, you should get 3 hours minimum bat life, secondly drop the framerates on those to 720, everything else looks shaky and ****. Make sure you have a descent SD card.

I film at 720p X 60FPS. Lets face it... most of the viewing of such vids will be via PC monitor (and often even via youtube/vimeo uplaods) so who needs more than 720p. (I have the original Hero HD, so not as many resolution/FPS options).

It's the frame rate that I look for. A higher frame rate means a more fluid slow motion when editing. I'll take that over a few extra pixels.

• 4 months later...

Set the camera to PAL, then choose 25fps. Choose 720 if you want to save space. Still an HD picture, but doesn't fill the cards up.