Ironman 2013 - Who's gonna be there ?

Seeker911

Hiya

How much and what do you take on the bike?

I then have a question for those that just focus on a 'finish' .

Is full IM achievable with, post 70.3 a 'dramtic increase in training'?

Thanks

Brent

P.s. You can more or less guage my fitness and idea by this posting (http://www.thehubsa....00#entry1899267)

Of course it is possible. Just make sure you have a solid 10 weeks leading up! Try and do Midmar and Buffels 70.3 which is 7 days apart and I can almost guarantee you will finish.

On the bike....... take boiled potatoes, Simba chips, biltong and gels.

Try and eat something every 30 minutes.

I was considering using it as a training event for an adventure race in May, but started doing the sums and it didn't make any sense. So not me.

Of course it is possible. Just make sure you have a solid 10 weeks leading up! Try and do Midmar and Buffels 70.3 which is 7 days apart and I can almost guarantee you will finish.

On the bike....... take boiled potatoes, Simba chips, biltong and gels.

Try and eat something every 30 minutes.

Just dont drop your butter soaked potatoes on the road like Garf did at Midlands Ultra. I'm sure there must be a rule against this. Its like a Garf was here message clap.gif

Really hope to be there, doing the training but must still enter…will enter before end of January.

Have not done any triathlons in the last 2 years and have forgotten how hard it is to run, bike and swim in 1 week.

Since here are so many repeat offenders....... Slight hi-jack, I'm looking for a Adamo TT saddle. Posted a wanted ad without joy.

Haven't decided yet, will be my 3rd if I do. Just want to see how training goes in January before entering.

Keen on going back for my 2nd one. It just depends on how my run goes next sunday (70.3). I have been battling with the running due to injuries etc. If i have a good run, without any injuries I will go back and better my time :) Time running out though as I need to decide before end of Jan.

I am doing the 20 week Intermediate Iron Man program on fittrack and am doing a pretty good job of staying on track. I am a little behind in points. BUT its not all that easy. So for example I did the Akasia 21km run on the Saturday and set a personal best at an 88% effort and then had to do 4.5 hours on the bike Sunday morning. My legs were not at all impressed. But I managed fine in the end. I even ran into the MTN team while they were have a laugh and a chuckle and managed to hold onto the bunch for about 5k's before they blistered off into the distance. The slow increase in mileage etc is really starting to pay off. I think too the interval training is giving me that ability to raise the tempo and hang in there.

The big thing I have found is trying to find the right food to eat and eat at the right time. This past weekend definitely proved to me you must eat. I ate a peanut butter and jam roll with a GU for every hour and found that even at the end I still had plenty to give. I think though I could do with some professional advice on eating and nutrition. Perhaps draw up a menu which I can try during my training over the next 2 months. I am more than willing to pay for such help. Preferably from someone who has completed a few Iron Man events. Any takers ?

My question is. Where do you pull all the food?

Those spec savers garments we are too wear (thats if you look to the discount). Are they bibs or a tri suit tops?

Do they have back pockets where you can stash all your food, like a cycling top.

Reason I ask this, is that I have a Orca single piece tri suit. But its does not have any 'stashing food' areas.

Thanks

Brent

Edited by bclark

My question is. Where do you pull all the food?

Those spec savers garments we are too wear (thats if you look to the discount). Are they bibs or a tri suit tops?

Do they have back pockets where you can stash all your food, like a cycling top.

Reason I ask this, is that I have a Orca single piece tri suit. But its does not have any 'stashing food' areas.

Thanks

Brent

Maybe get a extra ouch for your bike?

I have a front bottle cage with someelastics around. I use these to stuff most of my food into. I also put some potatoes and eggs in my back pocket and stick the gels onto my bike frame with insulation tape.

Seeker. I try and eat real food every 30 minutes on the bike. I only take a gel when I feel bad or when the run is coming up.........

Try boiled eggs. Worked really well on my solo 200km ride this past weekend.

I rode almost 8 hours and ate 3 boiled eggs. Pack of simba salt and vinegar chips and some 32 GI chews. Only took two gels. Felt ok afterwards!

Maybe get a extra ouch for your bike?

I have a front bottle cage with someelastics around. I use these to stuff most of my food into. I also put some potatoes and eggs in my back pocket and stick the gels onto my bike frame with insulation tape.

Seeker. I try and eat real food every 30 minutes on the bike. I only take a gel when I feel bad or when the run is coming up.........

Try boiled eggs. Worked really well on my solo 200km ride this past weekend.

I rode almost 8 hours and ate 3 boiled eggs. Pack of simba salt and vinegar chips and some 32 GI chews. Only took two gels. Felt ok afterwards!

Garf 200km solo !! shoo boet you are brave. I'm still getting into doing 120km and that took me 4.5 hrs. Must say I dont enjoy sweet things. So the GU's etc are ok they work BUT I cant have too many. As for the 32 GI chews YUUCCKKK. Tried that it was not nice. Must say the eggs, simba chips sound good. Just add a boiled potato and some biltong and I thing I have worked out Garf's menu for the iron man. Ok I tell you what this Sunday I am going to try some of this stuff. I'll let you know next Monday.