Cleated or Uncleated

Creme' Boulle'

What platform pedals you going for Mr. Mil?

I have been running NukeProof platform pedals. Got a set of Electrons & a set of Protons. I've been very impressed with the Electrons, they are extremely light (due to the plastic body) but provide ample grip with the metal pins and to date they have proved to be very robust.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Brian Lopes' and Lee McCormack's book:

Set Up for Success

Some simple bike changes will accelerate your wheelie, manual, and hop mastery. In order of ease and importance:

Drop your seat.

The lower your saddle, the bigger and more fluid your movements.

Switch to flat pedals.

This is the only way to guarantee you’re not pulling on the pedals.

Shorten your stem.

Moving your bars higher and closer gives youmore range and better balance

I have been running NukeProof platform pedals. Got a set of Electrons & a set of Protons. I've been very impressed with the Electrons, they are extremely light (due to the plastic body) but provide ample grip with the metal pins and to date they have proved to be very robust.

Have you tried the Protons yet? How do they compare to the pairs of socks you traded to get them? :lol:

Cool. But I was actually asking which clipped in pedal you are going to race with. :D

Edited by slick

Nice! Low profile. Wide platform. No centre pins (so your shoes don't get chewed up so fast).

My flat pedal combo is this

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/fi/five-ten-baron-flat-bmx-mtb-shoes.jpg

or these (although I don't wear them much anymore)

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/fi/five-ten-sam-hill-mtb-shoes.jpg

with these pedals

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/images/custom/pedals/large_npneutron2.jpg

I'm in 2 minds of either getting Neutrons or the Protons , but you said the 'inner' pins chow the soles fast. So the Neutrons might be a better (read longevity) option here.

I suppose the grip on the Neutrons are good enough anyway.

Cool. But I was actually asking which clipped in pedal you are going to race with. biggrin.png

Well platforms are flat pedals as far as I know whistling.gif

I'm waiting it out to see what the CrankBros Mallet DH are going to cost (I'll probably go with those).

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/109/photos/41881/s780_BT_20120830_untitled_shoot_041_244.jpg?1346420435

If the price is exorbitant, I'll just get a set of Shimano M545's as I hear they are bombproof. I've currently got a hand-me-down set of generation 1 Mallets.

Cool. But I was actually asking which clipped in pedal you are going to race with. biggrin.png

What platform pedals you going for Mr. Mil?

then you shouldn't call them "platform pedals" tongue.png laugh.png

Edited by patches

I'm waiting it out to see what the CrankBros Mallet DH are going to cost (I'll probably go with those).

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/109/photos/41881/s780_BT_20120830_untitled_shoot_041_244.jpg?1346420435

If the price is exorbitant, I'll just get a set of Shimano M545's as I hear they are bombproof. I've currently got a hand-me-down set of generation 1 Mallets.

dammit! I should have waited for those!

If you get tired of waiting i have some nice nice Mallet 2's for you? :lol:

I've also heard good things about these

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/bikes-and-gear/components/pedals/WMB88.gt_1.control_prev-399-75.jpg

The Wife is going to the states next week, so Im compiling a shopping list for her. :)

Anyway, the nukeproofs dont seem so popular over there, so I'm looking at a set of Spank Spikes. They're just quite pricey compared to the NP's, but they look awesome.

Do you mean removeable? Then no.

There are better pedals if you don't want to use cleats.

I like the nukes but want something a little smaller.

I ride a 140mm travel rig, mainly trail and all-mountain riding with the odd race thrown in (fun rides, like the Greyton classic for example). I always ride flats. I have never even tried clips Maybe one day I will, I am curious, but I am happy on flats - I just need to upgrade from my Vans to FiveTens

but find myself not doing or pushing over some fery technical sections as i battle to get out of my pedals quick enough, especially the rough incline sections,

If you look at the stuff that the pro downhill riders blast over in world cups, you'll notice it IS possible to ride technical terrain clipped in. In fact, with the right technique it could even be easier (I have wished for clips on occasion where a bump would disconnect my foot from the pedal - though using a grippier shoe might solve this). That said, confidence is everything - if switching to flats will help your confidence then go for it!

i also find the shoes to be very slippery on wet rocks etc, so if i do want to rather run up or over rocks i slip and slide all over,

A pair of FiveTen Minaars as you posted would solve that - has a cleat system AND a grippy sole.

when i go to the local bike shop to ask about shoes with no cleats etc, all i get offered his technical training

Most bike shops don't have decent flat pedals or shoes to sell you. grrrrr

it seems as if you ride without cleats you are frowned upon,

grrrrr. ride with different people dude :)

My take is to look at the trend out there. If everybody else is doing it, there is a reason for it.

Sorry but I have to disagree. You have to ride what works for you - trends often turn out to be just that - a trend. Everyone else is doing it, so it must be the way.

I like the nukes but want something a little smaller.

smaller surface, or thinner profile? as far as surface goes, unless you have tiny feet then go for a decent sized platform

to have a more efficient pedalling style than if you were not clipped in.

Are you talking about the push pull method, i have always ridden in cleats but never push pull.

even this has been questioned, not sure if it's the same article that was posted (which I've linked again below), but I remember reading something that disproved the "push / pull" theory. Although saying that, I am probably going to get flamed. the only reason I would want to try clips (and I am curious) is to keep my feet stable over technical terrain - but first I am going to try five tens.

If you think about it, flats are also a more hassle free solution - no cleats or pedals to adjust, maintain or replace ;)

This article was already posted, but read it again, this guy debunks a lot of clips VS flats myths:

http://www.bikejames.com/strength/the-flat-pedal-revolution-manifesto-how-to-improve-your-riding-with-flat-pedals/

then you shouldn't call them "platform pedals" tongue.png laugh.png

I've heard many okes call their flats - platforms...

For flat pedals, bigger platform is better imho

Straitlines rock

See patches, even Mr broken shoulder calls them platforms :P

Very nice.

My old Mallets are also wearing a bit.

I've heard many okes call their flats - platforms...

See patches, even Mr broken shoulder calls them platforms tongue.png

yes... FLATS = PLATFORMS...

but as you stated:

*shakes my head* laugh.png haha!

Didn't you get your All Bran this morning? laugh.png

Edited by patches