Do you have a 1.5m sticker on your car?

davem

The reality is that humans do not do anything unless severe punishment is imposed.

prosecution from Go Pro footage etc with points system or massive fines and impounding - just think of the revenue, then the little traffic chops can quit hiding in the bush all day on the freeway where no one gets killed, and start going after the bullies in the traffic - all that free time having a nap while the radar collects number plates over the speed limit can be better spent, with greater (revenue reward)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

huh? nog nooit gesien nie. op die R44?

Nee - ek het hom al n paar keer gesien in Main Rd en op Lourensford Rd...

Nee - ek het hom al n paar keer gesien in Main Rd en op Lourensford Rd...

ooo righty sal bietjie uitkyk :)

I've been applying it regardless of seeing stickers. I'd rather set a good example than put a sticker on my car asking others to do so. The issue here is not putting a sticker on your car or not, but rather to set an example and abide by the road rules.

I just came back from a European holiday where I had to drive on the roads there. No one needs to put stickers on theirs cars to apply common sense. They keep right and pass left (as they drive on the right hand side of the road), they stick to speed limits where they are in place and where they are not in place, people drive responsibly. You can buy a half jack of Jaggermeister at just about any roadside petrolstation, yet people don't drive drunk.

They all yield to public transport and bicycles. Not because they have stickers on their cars (or others do), but because they respect each other enough to abide by the law.

A small yellow sticker does nothing for awareness. Even big billboards with the sticker on them will not change people's attitudes and people with the stickers on their cars breaking the law does much more harm than good as South Africans have the attitude of "Oh, so you want me to respect a cyclist while you drive 120 in a 60 zone... screw you buddy!"

In my mind the sticker campaign is misplaced and ineffective and more focus should be placed on law enforcement and hitting motorists (and cyclists) breaking the law by confiscating vehicles (and bikes). Our legal system allows for any asset used to commit a crime to be confiscated and sold by the state. As South Africans have very little respect for others lives there are very few alternatives to explore. This way you will be hitting drivers (more so professional drivers, namely truck, taxi and bus drivers) where it hurts. Take his Bus / Taxi / Truck away (even for a week or 2) and they'll quickly come around.

Yes, agreed...BUT then I'm afraid there is NOTHING that we can do...we will NEVER be like the Europeans community (by the way - A Spanish top cyclist also got killed by a motorist this past weekend...)

We are sooo far behind the rest od the owrld i.t.o. mutual respect to other road users...I'm afraid there 's nothing to be done except individual self preservation (by whatever means).

stay safe out there...

I have one on my car, but must say I doubt the efficacy of this campaign. The drivers who will look, consider and understand don't need this type of awareness. The ones that kill & maim cyclists don't give a *&^%$#@ for most.

Like Americans with their guns, South Africans have an attitude problem with their cars. Jumping red robots, overtaking on solid lines, riding on pavements, passing on the shoulder, the list goes on.

Until we have effective enforcement of laws (ha ha, not likely given the state of the courts) this will remain a country of bandits and reckless lunatics. I will stick to the mountains on my dikwiel. Ta.

I want to make a sharpened metal aerial that I can mount on my bike that protrudes 1.5m into the traffic horizontally... so if you don't pass with the desired space your car's paintwork will describe to you just what a knob you've been.
I love this idea!! That will make sure people keep 1,5 away :)