Garmin Connect, Endomondo, Strava, Training Peaks .......

scuzzy

Hi all

There are so many of these type of online fitness sites, what do one use. Are there a difference between all of these or is it horses for courses.

Subtle nuances to each.

Strava - definitely cycling focus - built around the segments & leaderboards (and the 'virtual' power calculations) They use the same rating for running gradients as for cycling - any runner will tell you that is just plain nuts!

Garmin Connect - was ho-hum, but they are trying to turn it into a social experience. FTP calcs are apparently the same as that of TrainingPeaks

TrainingPeaks - as a free tool it does not really compare to the other free tools out there. If you are serious, yes! They have programs you can download, coaches use it as a communications/monitoring tool. TP website is only one of 3 tools they have: phone app & PC app. each with different features, but unless you are not a paying member it is a bit disjointed.

Endomono - somewhat of a general tool - What I appreciate is the stats graphs ;)

I'll rank them as follows:

4. Endomondo - hobbyist

3. Strava - serious hobbyist (wannabe pro-ams)

2. Garmin Connect - (the lost child of the bunch!) I'm slotting in here because it caters for more sensors than Strava - but in general you cannot zoom in to get to the detail. It can easily slot in between Endo & Strava as well

1. TrainingPeaks (Pros)

i use strava and garmin connect...strava def gives me more detail into my training, things like following other people on strava and comparing your training and times is pretty cool.

i spend most of time on strava...i moved away from traning peaks, if u have a virtual coach then they will use TP to upload your programs.

strava also has a cool app.

Strava - awesome tool using social influence and peer pressure as a healthy motivator. I use this selectively if there are PBs or KOM achievements to be shared.

Garmin Connect - personal log for all rides.

I'll rank them as follows:

4. Endomondo - hobbyist

3. Strava - serious hobbyist (wannabe pro-ams)

2. Garmin Connect - (the lost child of the bunch!) I'm slotting in here because it caters for more sensors than Strava - but in general you cannot zoom in to get to the detail. It can easily slot in between Endo & Strava as well

1. TrainingPeaks (Pros) I'll add SportTracks here

Out of all the programs, SportTracks is still my favorite.

It is the most complete and any analytical technical minded persons dream.

Just about anything is customizable and there are some unbelievable plug-ins available by the developers in the community.

Tracking your equipment is what got me hooked on SportTracks about 5 years ago and to date I can see exactly how many km's, hours or even how many times I have used a particular piece of equipment. Km's on chains, cassettes, brakepads, wheelsets, tubbies, etc etc etc ...

thumbup1.gif

I have a Bryton device but being sceptical of their logging and all that, I import all my rides to a Garmin Connect profile. It's a lot more accurate too, btw.

Then for social entries and analysis I use Endomondo, since I have rides on there from before I got my Bryton.

Out of all the programs, SportTracks is still my favorite.

It is the most complete and any analytical technical minded persons dream.

Just about anything is customizable and there are some unbelievable plug-ins available by the developers in the community.

Tracking your equipment is what got me hooked on SportTracks about 5 years ago and to date I can see exactly how many km's, hours or even how many times I have used a particular piece of equipment. Km's on chains, cassettes, brakepads, wheelsets, tubbies, etc etc etc ...

thumbup1.gif

SportTracks does not have an open web presence*1. All the others do.

*1 Yeah I know about sporttracks.mobi which is in closed beta... Am a member there wink.png

Edited by robox

I've been meaning to ask the similar question as the OP.

I've been using sportypal and it does the job for me, with good looking graphs and some fancy footwork with google earth.

Are the others really that much better that it didn't make the list or is it just another 1 of so many?

SportTracks does not have an open web presence*1. All the others do.

*1 Yeah I know about sporttracks.mobi which is in closed beta... Am a member there wink.png

I upload my rides to so many websites, its not even funny but I am not quite sure why! blush.png

It is nice to have a program on the pc which I can access at any time. There are loads of photos attached to my equipment profiles and I dont need to upload to a website every time I make changes.

Even when I am not at my pc, I can log in to it from anywhere in the world (given it must be switched on!) and I can still access whatever data I need in SportTracks ... problem solved :D

I will have to agree with Tank ... sportstracks. I dont think there is a thing it cannot do, other than ride your bike for you ..