I break the law when I ride on the road

Mr SingleTrack

clap.gif ++++++

at last someone with the courage to write what a lot of us do these days.

GOOD ON YOU SIR

I've been riding (as in road racing) for 40 something years and I've been knocked off my bike twice in that time. Luckily, neither time was too serious.

In '87 an army dude ran into me(early in the am, he said the sun was in his eyes) and I somersaulted over the bonnet and roof. This 'accident' stopped me from doing the Durbs Iron Man, but apart from the wasted months of training and the damage to my bike I was OK.

The second time was a little more serious, did some damage to my knees and my bike was a write off, but again I came off fairly lightly.

But, the point is, I was bl......dy lucky both times!

For me the major point is that rules for cyclists were made 150 years ago, when things were very, very different, cyclists were a threat to pedestrians, so were required to ride on the left. Cars were few and very slow.

Nowadays, there are 11.5 million (registered) vehicles on our roads. Cars are much, much faster and surely it's time to rethink these rules for bicycles?????

I feel safer riding against the traffic, there are still the idiots that ride in the yellow line, I'm just glad that I can now see them and avoid them.

WELL DONE SINGLE TRACK, I'M ON YOUR SIDE.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also make sure that I always give way to any other road user like a cyclist cycling towards me as I know I am in the wrong.

Think about it, it makes no difference to the car if the cyclist is coming or going, as long as the cyclist sticks to the side of the road.

You... do... think??

You give way? What does that mean, you push me into the traffic, or you go in head-first??

How about your own little club, with a nice white jacket??

Last question: are there a bunch of Niner clones out there, or do we really have this many around?

I can smell you burning up that side, flaming from your ears.

Really? Shame, you don't know me at all then.

I'm in agreement! 100%...I'd rather SEE what is about to happen to me...and decide for myself a course of action...

I did once pass another cycllist heading in my direction (his right of way...) I cannot say what he snarled at me in passing...would get a warning point!! Probabalt thought i was from Europe somewhere...

****that.

The OP is an complete witnit for doing what he does. When I get to power he will be one of the first ones queued for public castration!

I can see I need to apply a triple dose of sarcasm to my comments to get through to TNT1

Ahhh, I return and see that all is still the same

Is that your ankle biter in the piccie??????

Ahhh, I return and see that all is still the same

No. Yes. It's the same. But more.

NEXT ONE CYCLING TOWARDS ME GETS MY CYCLING PUMP IN THEIR FACE.

(OK, relax, I don't have a pump, I carry bombs)

I'm in agreement! 100%...I'd rather SEE what is about to happen to me...and decide for myself a course of action...

I did once pass another cycllist heading in my direction (his right of way...) I cannot say what he snarled at me in passing...would get a warning point!! Probabalt thought i was from Europe somewhere...

Nuts.

(OK, relax, I don't have a pump, I carry bombs)

Me either. I carry a few used spark plugs in my pocket though. They make a mess of a windscreen and a face.

just a small example.

someone in a car stopped at a side road, is only interested in what is coming down the traffic side of the road, not what is coming up the other way.

I strongly advise you rethink your strategy.....as you have stated.....you cycle on the WRONG side of the road.

no flaming.

regards

common sense.

I would not just blindly speed accross an intersection... so this is not an issue to me. Seeing that I am in the wrong I stop and give way to the car

Yes....blush.png

But he is more like a 'knee' biter....he was 4.5kg's at birth and very tall :-)

Is that your ankle biter in the piccie??????

Me either. I carry a few used spark plugs in my pocket though. They make a mess of a windscreen and a face.

thumbup1.gif

You... do... think??

You give way? What does that mean, you push me into the traffic, or you go in head-first??

How about your own little club, with a nice white jacket??

Last question: are there a bunch of Niner clones out there, or do we really have this many around?

I would gladly get of my bike and walk onto off the road before you get close rather so that I do not hinder you at all. My life is worth more to me that not stopping for a second or 2.

I am sure my life is not worth more to to TNT1 ph34r.png but I am glad he is here to comment. I wanted to get the conversation going thumbup1.gif

Get these...... and do not let TNT1 bother you, he is actually harmless, it is only when that steel plate in his skull, or is it his thumb warms up that he gets cranky!!!!!!!!

post-24908-0-37488100-1357565866_thumb.jpg

post-24908-0-64503500-1357565866_thumb.jpg

Edited by eccentric1

I would not just blindly speed accross an intersection... so this is not an issue to me. Seeing that I am in the wrong I stop and give way to the car

Stop, don't stop, makes no difference. Firstly no-one is looking for you there, you're f**ked. Second, if it's a robot, there's no way for you to see if there is maybe still a green arrow or whatever for the cars turning into you, again, you're f**ked. And in the second point again, no-one is looking for you in that area, so you're now thrice f**ked.

Yes....blush.png

But he is more like a 'knee' biter....he was 4.5kg's at birth and very tall :-)

Welcome back Girl...... you were missed!!!!!!