Wheelset for heavy okes

madmaxgf

can anyone please tell me what wheelset can be used for a person 95KGs plus.  Presently broken spokes are par for a ride.

try the easton orion wheels.  know a couple of guys around your weight ridin them.  one of the guys hits every 2nd pothole in jhb and they're still true as can b.

If you want rock solid rims for training get DRC rims with DT Swiss spokes. Mavic Open Pro's are also supposedly very good. 

max, best wheelset for a heavy dude and not ripping you off are rigida's dp18! they very simple rims, affordable and last forever.

i weight 96kg's and work as a bicycle messenger in germany and ride those wheels there. working as a messenger you punish your bike through the city up and down pavements, over railway tracks, potholes and whatever with a backpack full of stuff. have been using them now for 2 whole years and the rims never had the slightest problem!

2006-08-14_220603_IMG_0490_2.jpg

i even had an accident with them where i crashed straight forward into a car with over 30 km/h and the front wheel had nothing (see pic from double broken frame)!! unbelievable but true!

if you don't wanna spend too much money but need something reliable they are your choice. together with dt swiss 1.8/2.0 spokes they are a careless package! but of course the wheeljob must be descent!

using the open pro's for my good roadbike for 2 years now also with dt siwss 1.8/2.0 and never had a problem with them either. they are way lighter but i also take more care when riding this bike.

TheLegend38943.9209490741

Talk to Icycling....

He's the local stockist of Spinnergy wheels, and if they can hanlde his and Fatty's weight (no offence guys smiley36.gifsmiley2.gif) then they can handle big guys, even in racing conditions.

I know Fatty is very chuffed with his wheelset.

I second the spinnergy stealths, I have been riding them weighing in at 100kgsmiley9.gif

Been a good year what can I saysmiley36.gif

Yeah...I train on a pair of Campy Vento's (the new 2006 model), and race a set of Spinergy's - both very affordable wheelsets...and ask anyone that knows me, I used to break spokes regularly..

I've got the Xaero Lite's (not the deepsection rims)... Got them through Icycling, so just PM him and he will give you details of shops that stock them in Gauteng smiley2.gif

Ah, the beauty of the HUB with so much differing advice smiley36.gif but I suggest you stay clear of Shimano and especially Alex wheels (bust ANOTHER front spoke this weekend).  

I have the Easton Circuits which is the standard fit on Cervelo bikes and have had no problems with them. By shopping around you can pick up a set for under R3000. Check out the reviews

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/wheelsets/Easton/PR D_143270_2490crx.aspx

The Mavic Open Pro are also very good and stay true for a long time and i have yet to replace a spoke on them

If for MTB - I ride a set of Ritchey Pro's fairly affordable. I weigh about 94kg and have hit some pretty nasty stuff. I also "try" and do jumps etc, and they are still very true. I am using the V-Brake rims which are not Disc compatible.

Any decent wheelset will do as long as the wheels are properly built. The rims must be of the box type and the hubs must be of a good quality. The most spoke damage comes when the spokes are not tensioned properly. This causes play on the spoke head and the spoke normally snaps on the bend. In Tandem cycling we use DT brass washers between the head and the hub to eliminate play. We have a set of DRC rimmed 32 spoke with Joy-tech sealed bearing MTB hubs on the tandem.

We are a heavy pair. (190kg)

The wheels were useless when I got them but I purchased a Park Spoke Tensiometer and started working on the wheels. With a very short learning curve and building my own very cheap wheel truing stand the wheels have now been performing flawlessly since April. No truing was done since and they work, no spokes were broken either......... the secret...... proper spoke tensioning.

Madmaxgf - Yup have both Xaero and Stealth Spinergys in stock in both black and white spokes, champy or Shimano.

PM me for pricing or send email to info@icycling.co.za.

American Classic Hurricane Wheelsets

Bill Shook designed the Hurricane wheelset to provide a high performance clincher wheel for the large and powerful road rider. A good choice for racing, training or cyclocross. There are many stout wheelsets on the market that are so heavy they take the fun out of riding.

Hurricane wheels create a balance between strength, weight, responsiveness and durability. Built with the MTB 105 front hub and Ultralight RD 205 Cassette hub for a high flange, retro look.

The Hurricane rim weighs 400 grams. Brushed braking surface. Rims are not available for individual sale. ERD - 594.

http://www.amclassic.com/images/UCI.gif Hurricane Wheelsets are UCI race legal approved.http://www.amclassic.com/images/UCI.gif

Hurricane Wheelset Specifications

Wheelset colour is All Black.

Front Wheel:

Hurricane clincher rim, 32 spokes laced three (3) cross to the MTB 105 hub. Spokes are DT Competition with American Classic aluminum nipples.

Rear Wheel:

Hurricane clincher rim, 32 spokes laced three (3) cross both sides to the American Classic Ultralight RD 205 Cassette hub. Spokes are DT Competition with American Classic aluminum nipples. Campy or Shimano cassette body.

Included with Wheelset :

American Classic Cro-moly Quick Releases. Titanium Quick Releases available as an upgrade.

Wheelset weight:

700 gm front, 845 gm rear. Pair = 1545 gm.

http://www.amclassic.com/images/Wheels_Hurricane.jpg