Specialized Stumpjumper 29er Vs Santacruz Tallboy Lt

Ham

Hey there guys,

Cant seem to decide between these two. Would appreciate some comments to help me along.

Cheers

Having owned both, they are different approaches, and the differences are in the suspension and the way you ride.

My 2 cents worth:

Specialized is whip crack taught with all the suspension designed to be efficient and to act like a hard tail in many ways. Light and super responsive. Like a greyhound. Incredibly sharp handling, and designed to win XC races. You don't see SC in the top 10 at the Epic.

Like a greyhound. Incredibly sharp handling, and designed to win XC races. You don't see SC in the top 10 at the Epic.

Don't understand this? Both bikes are trail oriented bikes. SC and Stumpie Evo both have 135mm of travel, not designed for XC racing, but for comfort and handling. The stumpy comp is a130mm.

Only way to choose is to ride them. Both great bikes.

Having owned both, they are different approaches, and the differences are in the suspension and the way you ride.

My 2 cents worth:

Specialized is whip crack taught with all the suspension designed to be efficient and to act like a hard tail in many ways. Light and super responsive. Like a greyhound. Incredibly sharp handling, and designed to win XC races. You don't see SC in the top 10 at the Epic.

I think he is talking about the Stumpjumper FSR. It definitely is not designed for XC. It has 140mm front and back as far as I know and this puts it in direct competition with the SC TallBoy LT.

Thats correct, it is the FSR I am refering too. good feedback though. they both have 130 odd travel,

At the end of the day I guess i am looking for advice on reliability, ride and any inherent problems with either brand.

I ride a SJ FSR 29er. 130mm travel front and back. Not to be confused with the SJ EVO which has 140mm at the front (Fox 34), 135mm at the back, and is a degree slacker at the front.

I have not ridden a TB LT, but on paper you'll see that its angles are much steeper than either of the Stumpjumpers, and it has a shorter wheelbase. So probably a more responsive ride, a bit better in the tight stuff. If you're on a small or medium frame, the headtube might be a bit taller than the SJ (just guessing).

I'd expect the Stumpy's to do better when the downhills get bigger (specifically the EVO).

They are all excellent bikes and you'll find glowing reviews of all 3 out there. I think you need to go test ride and figure out what works best for your body and your trails.

At the end of the day I guess i am looking for advice on reliability, ride and any inherent problems with either brand.

I don't think you'll find problems with either brand. They both have excellent reputations.

A small negative on Specialized - some models have proprietary shocks which you can't get anywhere else (eg the Brain on the standard SJ). That might bother you, it might not.

Both high-end and very desireable bikes, but I think the patented virtul pivot suspension on the SC (same stuff I have on my Intense Spider 2) adds an edge to be considered. It makes for a unique travel path that enhances climbing, reduces pedal sag and pushes the bike forward as it goes down.

As for the comment about "won't see a SC at the Epic", you can safely disregard that little insight IMHO. Sponsorships and brand perceptions have much more to do with it.

My 2c

I don't think you'll find problems with either brand. They both have excellent reputations.

A small negative on Specialized - some models have proprietary shocks which you can't get anywhere else (eg the Brain on the standard SJ). That might bother you, it might not.

thanks dude, i am looking at one with the Brain, do you suggest i dont?