Training watch / HR monitor for Vitality

jabezz

Hi Guys

This has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to find the specifics I'm looking for.

I basically want an entry-level watch/monitor that will integrate with Vitality.

My requirements are: Heart Rate / Speed / Distance / Water Resistance (bonus)

I run / cycle / gym / swim (maybe)

For the cycling I don't care for much more than the Heart Rate, since my cycling computer tells me the rest and Vitality only cares about the Heart Rate anyways?!? (correct?)

The models I've been looking at:

Polar:

RS300X (Doesn't include foot pod)

FT80 (Doesn't include foot pod, not sure if HR monitor included)

RC3 GPS (Expensive, Doesn't include foot pod, big, not sure if HR monitor included)

Garmin:

FR70 (Looks good, wireless sync, doesn't have GPS, not water resistant)

Forerunner 210 (Doesn't include foot pod, does it sync with vitality?, not water resistant)

Any advice / guidance would be appreciated. Also let me know if I overlooked some models and why.

I'd probably buy from TotalSports for the Discovery discount. But can probably look for 2nd sensors?

Hi Guys

This has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to find the specifics I'm looking for.

I basically want an entry-level watch/monitor that will integrate with Vitality.

My requirements are: Heart Rate / Speed / Distance / Water Resistance (bonus)

I run / cycle / gym / swim (maybe)

For the cycling I don't care for much more than the Heart Rate, since my cycling computer tells me the rest and Vitality only cares about the Heart Rate anyways?!? (correct?)

The models I've been looking at:

Polar:

RS300X (Doesn't include foot pod)

FT80 (Doesn't include foot pod, not sure if HR monitor included)

RC3 GPS (Expensive, Doesn't include foot pod, big, not sure if HR monitor included)

Garmin:

FR70 (Looks good, wireless sync, doesn't have GPS, not water resistant)

Forerunner 210 (Doesn't include foot pod, does it sync with vitality?, not water resistant)

Any advice / guidance would be appreciated. Also let me know if I overlooked some models and why.

I'd probably buy from TotalSports for the Discovery discount. But can probably look for 2nd sensors?

I got the FR70 for Christmas along with the cadence/bike sensor kit BUT sadly this does not fit my Ghost as the cranks are so tight against the chainstay that I could not put the magnet on the crank arm. Partner has the model down from the FR70 again with the bike sensor that goes on the chainstay but I have to say it looks a pretty weak piece of gear so bear these two points in mind. Otherwise the FR70 works well on heart rate and with the little footpod and I have had no issues uploading data to the garmin site.

Thanks ... The FR70 is actually looking like the best choice price/spec wise at this stage.

I'm not tooo worried about the cadence sensor at this stage since i still have a little computer on the bike, so will only measure heart rate with the watch then.

Did the FR70 come bundled with the foot pod ?

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/11/my-2012-sports-gadget-recommendations.html

Running (Budget):

Garmin FR10: The competition has been heating up over the last 12 months for the sub-$100 watch category. And while the FR10 costs $29 more than sub-$100, I believe it’s $29 well worth it – primarily due to the Garmin Connect platform and downloadable data that the sub-$100 watches don’t have. The unit has arguably more features than the Garmin FR210 that’s twice its price. And with two sizes (for normal and small wrists) and three colors, it’s the perfect gateway drug into running GPS watches.

This unit generally costs about $129 and is available from both Amazon and Clever Training.

Running (Mid-Range):

Polar RC3 or Garmin FR210: Both of these watches are really solid. Previously I’ve said that I think for 95% of the runners out there, the FR210 works great (primarily for the footpod support for indoor running, as well as basic interval support). However, the RC3 matches most of that and adds more around heart rate training and coaching that the FR210 doesn’t have.

The Garmin FR210 costs about $200 and available from both Amazon and Clever Training.

The Polar RC3 costs about $270 and available from both Amazon and Clever Training.

Note that the Timex Run Trainer is in this same range, and I do recommend it. However, there still continues to be some bugs that cause some people problems there – whereas the above two are generally less buggy. And for those curious about the Motoactv, it’s a solid contender, but the company has more or less pulled out of the market – so it’s hard for me to recommend products from companies they don’t plan long-term support or new features.

Running (High End):

Garmin FR610: If I had to pick just one running watch to use forever, it would probably be the FR610. It just works, and I can use it as a day to day watch as well (unlike many of the triathlon watches). The wireless downloading via ANT+ means the data is there before I get to my computer, and the touch screen actually works (unlike the olderFR405/FR410 touch bezels, which I despise). Additionally, the falling apart band issues with some of the initial units have been resolved, so that’s no longer of concern.

The Garmin FR610 costs about $350 and is available from both Amazon and Clever Training.

The FR10 seems like a cheap entry into GPS watches.

I am also considering my options as my Polar 2007 S725X was damaged beyond economical repair during a fall.

Currently I'm doing 80% of my time in the gym, so the foot pod becomes a pre-requisite. FR70 looking like best/cheapest option since it comes bundled. R1000 extra with the polar watches.

I got the FR70 for Christmas along with the cadence/bike sensor kit BUT sadly this does not fit my Ghost as the cranks are so tight against the chainstay that I could not put the magnet on the crank arm. Partner has the model down from the FR70 again with the bike sensor that goes on the chainstay but I have to say it looks a pretty weak piece of gear so bear these two points in mind. Otherwise the FR70 works well on heart rate and with the little footpod and I have had no issues uploading data to the garmin site.

Try putting it into the pedal hole, you might need to break the magnet out of the plastic case.

I got this comprehensive feedback from Vitality:

Thank you for your email querying compatible devices for LivingVitality.

Here is a list of compatible devices:

Garmin

• Integration: Garmin Connect browser plug-in, also supports GPX/TCX which most devices support. Please consult your manual for additional export/import information.
  • Garmin Forerunner: 101, 110, 201, 205, 210, 301, 305, 310, 405, 410, 610, 910
  • Garmin Edge: 205, 305, 500, 605, 705, 800

Nike+

• Integration: Nike+ API which currently only publishes run data (Fuel data planned for a future release).
  • Nike+ Devices: SportWatch GPS, SportBand and Nike+ Running Apps

Polar

• Integration: Polar Personal Trainer, also supports HRM/GPX which most devices support. Please consult your manual for additional export/import information.
  • Running & Multisport: AXN300, AXN500, AXN700, RS100, RS200, RS300X,RS400, RS800, S625X, S725X
  • Cycling: CS100, CS200, CS300, CS400, CS500, CS600
  • Fitness & Cross-Training: AW200, F11, F4, F55, F6, F7, FA20, FS1, FS2, FS3, FT1, FT2, FT4, FT40, FT60, FT7, FT80.

Unfortunately you will not be able to link Suunto on LivingVitality.