Smoothie maker

Joeboy69

I want to start making smoothies and am inking if buying this

http://www.breville.com.au/beverages/blenders/the-kinetix-controltm-elderberry.html

Is it overkill or what do you guys use? My normal liquidiser of the food processor can't get it very smooth so think I need something more powerful

Thanks

Come on, you know you want it, buy it no need to justify why. The why is because you want it!! Yes a liquidiser works, but does it look a good?? Can you show it off ??? No

I say it's time for upgrade....

I have a smoothie maker that just stands in cupboard. Best thing I ever bought thou is a decent stick blender. The jug stuff is a hassle to clean.

Let us know how it works out , looks well made .

I've had all the sub R600 smoothie makers and they all rather crap , do the job but noisy and not nicely put together. They also break very easily esp the protection mechanism that prevents the motor running without the bowl connected.

I have a smoothie maker that just stands in cupboard. Best thing I ever bought thou is a decent stick blender. The jug stuff is a hassle to clean.

Those stick blenders can be up to 700Watts , extremely powerful but how well do they blend pieces of mangoes/bannanas/frozen berries etc?

And stuff spraying all over?

I have a decent large glass jug I chuck my stuff in and the stick blender if its decent can crush ice if needed. Works for me, might not be for everyone else.

I'd go with the stick blender, have both and admittedly rarely use the other one. Breville also make a decent one. Try @ home. Russell Hobbs also good option.

Our Russel Hobs was like R500 and it works just fine.

Only thing missing is a stick to stir with.

Tip: cut and freeze all your fruit going bad, and by freezing blocks of mango for eg calls for less ice thus a less watery smoothie.

Edited by wheelerdealer

I have a kenwood "Smoothie" and it works like a bomb!!! According to me the best thing I've bought myself before my bike. Buy what you can afford, but the kenwood is awesome!!!

Look for the Omniblender online.

My wife researched like mad before requesting it for her birthday.

Apparently it is strong enough to liquidise nuts, which is no small feat. It gets used a lot by the Raw Food chefs

Thanks for the inputs. The Omni seems the strongest/best of the bunch and is "classified" as a top-end machine whereas the Breville gets good reviews for middle of the range options.

Suppose it's like a carbon-fibre 29" duallie but I ride an entry level Merida now ... So where do I want to be vs what is realistic for my expected usage ;-)

The omniblender is quite competitive in SA , almost the same price as Amazon.

Also good is the Blendtec and Vitamix both made in Usa though so quite pricey

Look for the Omniblender online.

My wife researched like mad before requesting it for her birthday.

Apparently it is strong enough to liquidise nuts, which is no small feat. It gets used a lot by the Raw Food chefs

Have you had any issues with the wide bottom of the jug meaning you have to tamp everything down on most blends to get it all into the blades?

The omniblender has some great features , that wide base is just one issue It has it appears.