Augustyn Brothers - Coimbra PE

Longbarn Killer

Anybody know what is happening? I cycled passed Augustyn Brothers Cycles in PE and see that the name has been changed to Coimbra Cycles and they are now Scott Agents.

Did Coimbra buy them out or are they just using Coimbra's name.

Coimbra bought them out. With JL going back overseas to compete again, ABC won't really by ABC anymore. I understand that some of the staff of ABC will run it still, but as another branch of Coimbra.

Coimbra bought them out. With JL going back overseas to compete again, ABC won't really by ABC anymore. I understand that some of the staff of ABC will run it still, but as another branch of Coimbra.

Did he get a spot on a team?

Heard it was a small team just to get back into racing.

Yeah, just a stepping stone to get back into that side of the world.

I think it is great that Eben (or is it Evan) is expanding. His service is outstanding.

Ewan

But then again JL was beaten by a junior in EP champs...shouldn't we make space for the young stars of our country?

But then again JL was beaten by a junior in EP champs...shouldn't we make space for the young stars of our country?

Jevandre road very well, but still too young to go overseas I think. Let him ride for a local pro team first for a few years and then go over. JLA has "old legs", which is what you need for that kind of racing.

Jevandre road very well, but still too young to go overseas I think. Let him ride for a local pro team first for a few years and then go over. JLA has "old legs", which is what you need for that kind of racing.

True that.

We shouldn't wait too long, we can have a Sagan of our own.

Correct.

The new Coimbra branch ( apparently in partnership with someone well known in PE cycling circles) has already caused a bit of trouble amongst the Port Elizabeth cycleshop mafia ! It is earmarked to be a Scott brand store, which explains why the shop that promoted Scott for the past few years, has moved over to Merida.

Ewan & his dad are not shy to discount stock to keep volumes at respectable levels, so the locals can perhaps expect some good deals on Scott bikes.

Where the trouble starts is that it is on the doorstep of one of our favourite LBS, Action Cycles :ph34r:, who at the time when John Lee opened Augustyn Brothers, went ape with threats. ................. all this pretty much fizzled out when Action realized that ABC was not a serious threat and in fact never really got off the ground until it was sold/closed.

So yes, an interesting year awaits PE bike shoppers with local shops focussing on the small picture fighting each other for "territory", whilst CWC and CRC sales just keep on growing ..........................