Ironman 2014 - 10 Years of Ironman in PE

Garfield2010

You need to construct a season. Worrying from the start about not starting is not the right way to go about it.

Yes it is a lot of money but Ironman is a journey, not a race. Pitching up on the day is the easy part. Say you enter now and ride run and swim for 500 hours until March and then get sick or injured then it was still worth it... You will do other races leading up to IM so IM it self on the day should not be the Alpha and Omega.

I learned this the hard way with Cape Town Challenge.

Hence I decided from then on not to plan just for one race...

Example....

My coming season will look as follows:-

1 December Midmar 70.3

In March next year Buffelspoort 70.3 and Midmar 70.3 again.

I will do the OFM / 94.7 & Amashova classics

I will race 5150 Germiston

I will race 4 peaks trail run

IM SA

Challenge Roth

So even if I get sick and for some reason I cannot do IM PE I will still have a lekker season regardless!!

That's how I look at it...

The health and fitness/quality of life you will gain in the next 8 months is far more worth than the R4,200 entry fee. You will make that up alone in a few months by not going to pubs on Friday evenings

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right on Garf.

This is about the journey. The entry is nothing compared to all those wonderful hours spent riding your bike. Those early morning runs before the world is awake. All the other races on the way.

The entry fee just gives you the focus to make sure you do all the other cool things in between.

Right on Garf.

This is about the journey. The entry is nothing compared to all those wonderful hours spent riding your bike. Those early morning runs before the world is awake. All the other races on the way.

The entry fee just gives you the focus to make sure you do all the other cool things in between.

Indeed. And look now... Triathlon has made the Garf an overnight Superstar!!

+1 Garfield.

I definitely need to change my way of thinking because I definitely have a tendency to make it all about my "A" race and forget that its about the whole season and that really training should be the most enjoyable part.

Racing is just cherry on the top, and isnt the be all and end all....I'm not a pro after all.

Indeed. And look now... Triathlon has made the Garf an overnight Superstar!!

C-List celebrity

I do find it strange about the focus on the A race. I guess it is a factor of all the A type personalities and the rat race. Personally, this is about enjoyment. There is no way that I would train 600 hours (not 500 Garf) for an event.

I am going to do a serious amount of cool things over the next ten months. Yes, they will be coordinated into an Ironman training program, but each event is it's own enjoyment. If I do all these cool things then I will be in fantastic shape for IMSA 2014.

In April next year, the results will be a culmination of not only the effort I have put in to all the other events on the way but also all the fun I have had.

(and yes it will add up to 500-600 hours)

Right on Garf.

Its also allows you to eat the occasional "Awful awful" sundae from Milky Lane.....without worrying about putting on weight

The best thing you can do at this time of year, is to go ride and run and leave all the electronics behind. No speedo, no heartrate, no strava, nothing. Do it for the joy of riding and running.

I do find it strange about the focus on the A race. I guess it is a factor of all the A type personalities and the rat race. Personally, this is about enjoyment. There is no way that I would train 600 hours (not 500 Garf) for an event.

I am going to do a serious amount of cool things over the next ten months. Yes, they will be coordinated into an Ironman training program, but each event is it's own enjoyment. If I do all these cool things then I will be in fantastic shape for IMSA 2014.

In April next year, the results will be a culmination of not only the effort I have put in to all the other events on the way but also all the fun I have had.

+1,000

You need to do at least 4 races that you have never done in the past.

And before you worry bout PE..... Midmar 70.3 in December is gonna be a real beast. 40 degrees with 95% humidity is a possibility.... That alone is going to be epic......

Its also allows you to eat the occasional "Awful awful" sundae from Milky Lane.....without worrying about putting on weight

Skaaprib and skilpadjies......

My training will be in winter so not many races around here.April is the start of the season here so i'll have a good base to start on :thumbup:

Going to be interesting doing most of my rides on idt with the heaters up full.

My training will be in winter so not many races around here.April is the start of the season here so i'll have a good base to start on :thumbup:

Aren't there any MTB races through Snowy mountains?

Aren't there any MTB races through Snowy mountains?

I'll do a few mtb rides but it very easy rides in the snow.Just have to hope we have a mild winter this year.

I'm doing tons of crossfit stuff (bulk of my volume now) with a mate who has no interest in tris at all.

Hoping it helps to make sure that I dont get bored of bike, run, swim, by September.

I have been lazy for long enough now. This coming weekend I shall have my revenge on post IM rest.

140km road bike on Sat to be followed by a 60km MTB on Sunday.

I shall however have to split these two sessions by 4 litres of beer at the Cheetah game on Saturday evening mwuhahahahahaha!!

Well hopefully it will be a mild winter (not like the current / last winter) then you can also train outdoors.

2010 / 2011 winter i trained for epic outdoors on most weekends (avg temps 0 -> 8 deg).

Bad weather days / weeknights on the IDT which was quite a challenge, the feeling of achievement after doing 4 hrs on the IDT is like finishing a 70.3..... and then to do the same the next day.....Enjoy

Archived