Solution to stop Floating Rotor Rattles/Oscillation

Skylark

I got some Hope Floating Rotors off thehub classifieds a while back, just the rotor was a bit loose on the aluminum carrier part in the middle. They would rattle in general and oscillate at certain speeds, just enough to p1ss me off and make a ride a little less enjoyable.

This type of rotor:

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/8f7/3d6/167/57316/product_page/hope-2-4-saw-floating-rotor.jpg

I came up with a solution that worked perfectly...

I put a drop of super glue between the rivet and aluminum center part, which was where the looseness appeared to be on my rotors - not to glue them together but just to put some glue in the gap so that things would tighten up and prevent them from rattling.

Put a little drop on each rivet/carrier space, wiped up any excess so it didn't look diy miff. Worked perfectly!!

I would imagine with time things may loosen up again and I'll need to do it again but what a winner. :clap:

You need to get a punch that fits the diameter and smack it so the rivet opens taking up the slack

Ja that was one option I thought of but even if you do it properly with a considered blow and a flat plate underneath it may not squash out evenly and result in pulling the rotor out of line, the super glue worked perfectly and its semi reversable so it's a very good option. Has anyone tried hammering the rivets with success?

Edited by Skylark

I've hammered the rivets on an old set - seemed to work perfectly. Didn't use the rotors much though, so didn't really test it properly, but do recall needing to redo the monkey mech'ing at some stage...

Ja, I've always wondered about those discs. They are supposed to be floating discs but I've never come across any that actually move. Now I've been proved wrong but came to the conclusion that it is a bad idea if they do rattle.

Ja, I've always wondered about those discs. They are supposed to be floating discs but I've never come across any that actually move. Now I've been proved wrong but came to the conclusion that it is a bad idea if they do rattle.

From what I found on google the Mtb floating rotors aren't true floating rotors, they aren't supposed to be loose like those used on motorbikes that are purposely made to be loose and also rattle like crazy. A few guys mentioned hope even swopping out rotors under warranty if they start rattling.

I used dental floss in mine ;)

Do you tie the rotors to the aluminum carrier with dental floss?

In motorcycles they do float, there is a tiny bit move movement so that they centre, The force keeps them alined but sometimes they do loosen up, we have punched a few to sort them out, but eventually they rattle loose again. it's normally pretty rare.

The benefit of 2 Piece (not floating) rotors on a bicycle is for heat dissipation. The light weight aluminium centre is a better heat conductor and will draw heat away from the steel blade surface, thus minimizing brake fade. The lighter than steel quality also allows them to make the shape of the carrier have a greater surface area for further heat reduction.

Edited by Zilla