MTB clipless pedals vs flat pedals

gummibear

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

They matched the colour scheme of my bike. I was tricked! hahaha!

Ah. You fell for the classic CB trick. If we make it shiny we don't have to make it work.

I've read that a few times now - how can there be a poor technique to bunny hopping ?

If you clear the gap or obstacle you doing it right ... :whistling:

I ride clipless FWIW

hahahaha!

Yes, but incorrect technique limits the size of the obstacle or gap that one can clear. It is far less stable at speed. Also also looks lame compared to a proper bunny hop :lol:

Everything Patches said! I went from clipless to flat and have never looked back.

I've read that a few times now - how can there be a poor technique to bunny hopping ?

If you clear the gap or obstacle you doing it right ... :whistling:

I ride clipless FWIW

If you can pull off a 2 foot bunny hop using the pull up on your cleats "technique" then by all means stick with that. If not learn correct technique. It is possible to lift the bike with your cleats, but you are limiting your performance and ability.

If you can pull off a 2 foot bunny hop using the pull up on your cleats "technique" then by all means stick with that. If not learn correct technique. It is possible to lift the bike with your cleats, but you are limiting your performance and ability.

Edit: Patches beat me to it

Edited by goose1111

I'd say with a certain amount of certainty that Gummi has been riding clips for a looooong time now...

I have no problem with my road pedals or on my hard tail.It's just the more technical stuff.

I'll give it a little longer,maybe lack of skill to.

I do like the 5-10 shoes though :thumbup:

Ah. You fell for the classic CB trick. If we make it shiny we don't have to make it work.

waaaahaaaa. :w00t:

hahahaha!

Yes, but incorrect technique limits the size of the obstacle or gap that one can clear. It is far less stable at speed. Also also looks lame compared to a proper bunny hop :lol:

Read an article by James Wilson and he says that flat pedals will help pedalling technique and make you stronger when riding with cleats.

They've caught me more than once :blush:

Sometimes I wish I was colourblind!

Gummi, reading the Flat Pedal Manifesto, James says it takes about 12 long rides to get used to the flats, and that was my experience too, persist with them, to get used to the different dynamics.

Read an article by James Wilson and he says that flat pedals will help pedalling technique and make you stronger when riding with cleats.

yup! that article and the manifesto are what I referred to in an earlier post.

Look Quartz carbon

Don't worry after 1 month of riding the cleats on those shoes will start to wear, and after 3 months your feet will be falling out.......

Nice pedals but the life span on the cleats are useless. I have gone through may different types, SPD various makes, Look Quartz, egg beaters, candy's and guess what, in my days of hating anything shimano I bought XT SPD pedals. Never looked back. I would consider changing to them. At least you can adjust the tension.

yup! that article and the manifesto are what I referred to in an earlier post.

I'm on 5 rides (I think) and I can already tell the difference. FAR better on the tech stuff. Slight difference on the ups, but that's a function of the skoene I have (chopped down trail running shoes with sticky ass rubber but zillions of flex)

Don't worry after 1 month of riding the cleats on those shoes will start to wear, and after 3 months your feet will be falling out.......

Nice pedals but the life span on the cleats are useless. I have gone through may different types, SPD various makes, Look Quartz, egg beaters, candy's and guess what, in my days of hating anything shimano I bought XT SPD pedals. Never looked back. I would consider changing to them. At least you can adjust the tension.

I was on SPD but they kept clogging up with mud.That's why i went to Look for mud shedding.

I had a bad fall a few weeks back because i couldn’t get my get my cleats out fast enough.Since that i am a little nervous on the bike.

This morning i had another lie down when my wheel slipped in a corner and i couldn't get my cleat out.

I am not a racer and i ride for fun and i am enjoying the technical trails :thumbup:

If i went over to flat pedals will it make me slower?

Will it be harder to climb?

What should i look for in flat pedals and what shoes?

I have shimano pedals that clip on the one side, and flat on the other side - I've been using this combo for many years, and I find that I less and less need to clip in when I'm on the dual. On the hardtail it's more interesting going downhill when I'm not clipped in, so I do.

The flat pedals allow me to try far more technical stuff than what I would if I was clipped in. It may just be in my head, but for me it's working.

I like the biiiig platform on my Mallets, but I've not had any problems with them clogging up.

They've caught me more than once :blush:

Sometimes I wish I was colourblind!

I am colourblind, but the shiny bits still grab my attention :mellow: .

I also got caught out by CB, one nasty fall later had me binning the pedals ASAP.