Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

SWEEEEETT!

Ja. I've got all the visa requirements but basically you need a plane ticket, accommodation, and a few other odds and ends for the visa. It takes less than a week for it to come through. Don't bother with visa agencies or anything like that. I've got all the info that they'd charge you money for anyway and you HAVE to go to the consulate anyway.

Closer to the time I'll send out a survival guide/things you need list but as a mountain biker you'll already have most of that stuff anyway. Oh. If you are on a trail bike get a dropper post if you don't have one. There's SOOO much free vertical and some of the descents are steep.

Ever jumped an Airbag? There's one in Les Gets, Lindarets AND Chatel. Yes they're free.

Oh. I said Serpentine has 32 berms. There's a trail called Panoramic which is the natural intro to Serpentine. I reckon between those 2 trails there's 60 berms. Easily.

Most excellent!!!

Ja I have a dropper post. And flat pedals and 5-10's ;-p

Hope you'll allow me even with my clown wheels...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Most excellent!!!

Ja I have a dropper post. And flat pedals and 5-10's ;-p

Hope you'll allow me even with my clown wheels...

Hehe. There are no bike snobs in France. I'd take a spare tire tho cos you'll struggle to find spares for 9ers there. Watch that vid. those okes are all on 9ers. That or they are REALLY short.

Edited by Omega Man

No hub takers yet?

3 people have booked so far so only 17 spots left.

Hey, getting organised. Will be booking my spot shortly!

Guest Omega Man

Hey, getting organised. Will be booking my spot shortly!

Nice.

Thanks. I looked at that website last night and it was as confusing as a Pink Floyd song.

LOL, sorry man. Was the first one I found. I've checked these when planning ski trips, don't want to go somewhere with thousands of kids and besides the ease of movement and less congestion for restaurants, there's the added bonus of slightly lower prices( on accommodation and flights sometimes)

Lots of countries have various regions that have their school holidays at different times. Much like here except there aren't just coastal and inland.

Guest Omega Man

LOL, sorry man. Was the first one I found. I've checked these when planning ski trips, don't want to go somewhere with thousands of kids and besides the ease of movement and less congestion for restaurants, there's the added bonus of slightly lower prices( on accommodation and flights sometimes)

Lots of countries have various regions that have their school holidays at different times. Much like here except there aren't just coastal and inland.

Haha. No worries.

Just chatted to a mate Ray. He's coming next year. Coming in from the UK. He was with us this last trip. Super cool guy. He's just done a trip to Les Arcs too. Bastard!

On the insurance, I was a bit weary of paying a lot for insurance in January this year. I can get the details, it was in the region of R800. Long story short, due to snowfalls we had a 2 day delay in returning home, all my extra costs were covered as well as a lost camera. My claim was about R4500. I had friends that took cheaper cover only to find they couldn't claim for the delays etc. My insurance also had huge medical cover, which was thankfully not put to the test.

For peace of mind I would go the route as @Omega Man suggests.

Guest Omega Man

On the insurance, I was a bit weary of paying a lot for insurance in January this year. I can get the details, it was in the region of R800. Long story short, due to snowfalls we had a 2 day delay in returning home, all my extra costs were covered as well as a lost camera. My claim was about R4500. I had friends that took cheaper cover only to find they couldn't claim for the delays etc. My insurance also had huge medical cover, which was thankfully not put to the test.

Ja look i'm not pushing anything but you do see the ambulance EVERY DAY. and the heli every few days picking someone up. There's also a 4x4 ambulance picking okes up in the rough areas. You see a lot of drunk folk in the bars with slings and crutches while their mates are out on the hill having a blast. The key of course is to not be that drunk person in a sling and ride within your own abilities.

Insurance is a lot like the monkeys that bitch about kulula charging them to take their bike to the argus. It's up to you to make sure you know what you are covered for and more importantly NOT covered for. The whole "Just riding along" routine won't work if you are in body armor and a full face.

I chatted to the ambulance guy and girl in 2012. They were waiting for a guy to come down. His riding holiday had lasted less than 400m. They run a private ambulance. They reckon in Winter they cash in BIG TIME. The skiers all break tib fib. The snow boarders have it worse cos they break tail bones and backs. Summer time is slower for them but they still make a living. The guy reckoned it's mostly collar bones, ribs and lacerations.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Same for me :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

On the upside, I will have my new bike by then!! :clap:

That's the wrong answer boys. the correct answer is 2014-Death. And you Olaf? didn't you say you were coming?

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Are you coming fella?

Guest Omega Man

WTF......show me the way, mate........

And we have another spot taken folks. That's 5 taken. 15 open.

Are you coming fella?

Planning skiing for January/February, need to check how far I can stretch finances. Really want to do this, get excited when I see this thread pop up. Will decide soonish, don't want to say yes and find I can't commit.

So for now: Hopefully.

Guest Omega Man

Planning skiing for January/February, need to check how far I can stretch finances. Really want to do this, get excited when I see this thread pop up. Will decide soonish, don't want to say yes and find I can't commit.

So for now: Hopefully.

Sweet man. Where you going skiing. BTW. I know a place in Morzine that can do catered accommodation in Jan for 400 pounds a week.

Edit. I need to start charging for this sh*t.

Edited by Omega Man