Calling on you gamers

Guest Kalahari ou

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have picked up a guitar plenty of times before, learned for a week, and then put it away. 

Over the holidays i heard about rocksmith, but at R2000+ for the game and cable. I decided to give it a skip, since my guitars looks nice against the wall....

BUT THEN

I shopped around and bought the game from the xbox store for 399, and the special cable from loot for 525. 

Not having a disc is worth R1000 for me. 

So I have picked up a guitar plenty of times before, learned for a week, and then put it away. 

Over the holidays i heard about rocksmith, but at R2000+ for the game and cable. I decided to give it a skip, since my guitars looks nice against the wall....

BUT THEN

I shopped around and bought the game from the xbox store for 399, and the special cable from loot for 525. 

My brother got that a while ago, bought a decent basic electric guitar and now he spends at least an hour or more a day practising. The learning curve is absolutely phenomenal.

So everyone is saying. 

I see some people would have liked more theory and explanations and understanding the fundamentals, but I will probably look into that once I can play a bit. Surely it is easier to understand that if you can compare the theory to practical.... 

Looking forward to start playing.... I have a bass guitar against the wall, and a box guitar with the 1/4" pickup that is needed. The other guitars are just normal acoustics. 

BUT THEN

Playing Multiplayer on Rocksmith is uber fun too, but you need a second cable for that..

Got Mine on special, under R400 for the game and cable. then spotted a second hand version for R250 which I Bought just for the cable..( its a PS edition) and got the disc-less version off steam for my PC. R2k is ridicules for a Game

So everyone is saying.

I see some people would have liked more theory and explanations and understanding the fundamentals, but I will probably look into that once I can play a bit. Surely it is easier to understand that if you can compare the theory to practical....

Looking forward to start playing.... I have a bass guitar against the wall, and a box guitar with the 1/4" pickup that is needed. The other guitars are just normal acoustics.

Yeah, he just watches Youtube videos for theory and to learn basic chords or check out cool riffs. There are hundreds, if not thousands of videos to teach you.

Welcome to Atlas.

After 40 hours of endless frustration regarding connection issues, game crashes, bugs and broken mechanics. I keep returning to this game and so do thousands of other players. It suffered from one of the worst launches in gaming history with most user reviews being overwhelmingly negative. Yet, thousands upon thousands of people continue to play it more and more. Ironically, considering the games reviews. Having people continuously playing it is testament to just how enormous its potential is. It comes with the promise of a superb and unique to each player adventure. And if you want an authentic pirate pvp experience it doesn't get any better than this.

In what must be the most ambitious venture from a gaming developer to date. Atlas is a massive open world pirate themed survival mmo game. For some perspective if you've played Ark. Which in its own right is huge. The Atlas map as it stands now is 1,200 times the size of Ark's island. 

5yLhjPz.jpg

If you had the fastest ship, assuming that you could sail in a straight line and the winds were in your favour. It would take 30 hours in real time, to sail from one side of the map to the other. The map is so huge that it is split up into a grid of a hundred odd squares, where each square on the grid has its own server filled a few hundred players.

AOlBOL0.jpg

4abZkyW.jpg7tp6OK9.jpg

B4N84Yx.jpg

O1o4y0k.jpg

A few screenshots of my first venture out. 

I'll follow the next couple posts with more about my experience in this game.

Edited by popcorn_skollie

Now when I refer to scale I don't just mean the geographical size of the map itself itself. The game developers covered just about every aspect of every object contained within the game. And when you consider all these things you realise the enormity of it all. The amount of work that was put in from a developer standpoint and just how hard it is to find a balance with so many game elements in a single title.

9y2VIEm.jpg

Enemy boat spotted. Well anyone that is not highlighted in green (my company) or blue (allies) would be red. So these players saw me at sea and decided I wasn't worth the trouble. They didn't help me either though. 

pvrHFyh.jpg

Exploring the wildlands looking for resources and food.

HSQiIkp.jpg

Fell off the raft to be greeted by two sharks

crr6r6y.jpg

I didnt have the resources nor learned the skill to tame a wild horse at this point but I sure could use him.

HZtHdY2.jpg

Everything in this game is ranked according to levels. Each player levels up as they progress through the game. Gaining experience by farming and mining various resources and raw materials. Discovering new lands. Slaying other players or destroying their structures or ships etc. Farmed resources are used to craft tools, weapons, clothing, armour and more. Tools are used to build structures ports and vessels. All which come in various materials. Whether you're a low level solo player with a thatch hut stranded on a small island. Or wheather you're part of a company of 150 other players who build a massive fortified base of operations out of steel, stone and wood.

jE2JpJS.jpg

Every structure, tool, weapon, and random items come with its own criteria. Its durability, how well it stands up to damage from either enemy attacks or simply extensive use, how much it weighs (which is another topic altogether because you have to manage your own weight, the weight of your ship etc and every item in the game has a different amount of weight.

iicsFRz.jpg

Then there are the animals in game. Both wild and tamed (more on that later) They too vary in levels. There are to my knowledge 150 wild animals in Atlas. Most of which can be tamed for various uses like farming, riding, or combat. Of course it wouldn't be a pirate game if you couldn't tame a wild parrot and have it on your shoulder. But you could also opt for a vulture or monkey like I did. Having a pet monkey gives you a health regen buff as a perk.

Other than that cows give you milk, you can ride horses, bears, tigers, lions and even ancient and mythical creatures which can fly like dinosaurs, dragons and the infamous Hydra.

ZdQ9ftc.jpg

Here I am with my pet monkey. Who was eaten by a shark last night. RIP King Julian.

NUjDWkY.jpg

Arrived at our base of operations. Our company currently has 150 members (including 20 South Africans). We are also allied with other companies on the same and surrounding islands but not everyone in our vicinity has agreed to play nice. But that's what makes the game fun anyways. 

Considering our company size (company is Atlas's name for your tribe, clan, family, guild or whatever) We're pretty well organised with different roles to play. 

CAI0hx9.jpg

Our Port.

KFiJrTx.jpg

Some of our tames. Elephants are very usefull. They carry tons of weight and you can ride them to farm or move heavy parts for building boats and structures.

j4fY90f.jpg

At this point I had learned a few things as I progressed with the help of company players. I levelled up enough to craft some good armour and weapons

sdjHJW3.jpg

Not sure what lions are good for besides riding hunting for meat etc.

HJfpHtR.jpg

bCTxgn9.jpg

Aboard our first Brigantine (A ship second in size only to the Galleon) This boat sunk in combat out at sea with evemies. We were outnumberd and reinforcements were too far away. Those Russians took everything.

UdR1mgp.jpg

Our second Brig. We called her The X Wife. She's been good to us so far. We had an extensive battle at sea with one of the top ten globally ranked companies. We survived the fight and when they retreated we too fell back. Deciding that repairing the ship was more important. It was too risky to chase them. I jumped when I spotted a treasure map in the water. Here I am swimming back to it.

Edited by popcorn_skollie

Haven't gamed since my last jam on Zelda: BOTW. I might start with Adventure Mode in Diablo 3, or I might carry on with either Starcraft 2 or COD: MW3. I'm leaning more towards COD as I haven't played any FPS goodness in a while.

Behringer Metalien.

Mixed reviews, but got it second hand for a very descent price, and it is very comfy in hand. Guy I bought it from believes in N+1! Currently he has 49 guitars. 

behringer-metalien-iaxe629-ma-46260.jpg

Oh pretty....

lol he sounds like me.. currently only on 13 Guitars.. 

You must join the Guitar Talk Forum . some good advice, nice pleasant people,