Shimano- Gear Selection

CP Kloppers

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I beg to differ. There is a difference in shifting from lower end to top end shimano....... and in my experience....... a big one

I've been riding xt RD's for a while(since they came out), and i dont seem to notice any diff from a well setup deore. As for FD, i have no idea, only ride single blade saint upfront.

I've been riding xt RD's for a while(since they came out), and i dont seem to notice any diff from a well setup deore. As for FD, i have no idea, only ride single blade saint upfront.

Shifters play a far more important role in shifting performance than DR's

Currently ride a Sram attack with my xt RD, shifts sweet. Sold my xt xc bike a year or two back.

I can't argue with that but interesting that bike manufacturers on 'lower' models have always fitted a slightly up spec RD as they said it 'improved' shifting .... probably where that impression comes from?

I can't argue with that but interesting that bike manufacturers on 'lower' models have always fitted a slightly up spec RD as they said it 'improved' shifting .... probably where that impression comes from?

could be, just talking out of personal experience, a XTR shifter and SLX rear dr combo imo shifts smoother than a pure XT combo. Same applied to SRAM, you can hardly the feel the difference if you swop an XO rear dr out for a X9 using XO shifters, but "downgrade" the shifters and you can feel it.

Also the reason why I try and go for the best shifters, I would rather be scrooge on the dr.

They probably claim that because it is more pricey to have a higher spec'ed shifter than a higher spec'ed DR.

XT RD, 900. SLX Shifters, 700.

SLX RD, 700. XT Shifters, 1100.

Although that is 1600 vs 1800 ZAR. I suppose if you are building 1000+ bikes, R200 per bike is a lot of money.

EDIT: listed combo's appropriately.

Edited by Helpmytrap

They probably claim that because it is more pricey to have a higher spec'ed shifter than a higher spec'ed DR.

XT DR, 900. SLX DR, 700.

XT Shifters, 1100. SLX Shifters, 700.

Although that is 1600 vs 1800 ZAR. I suppose if you are building 1000+ bikes, R200 per bike is a lot of money.

Makes sense.

could be, just talking out of personal experience, a XTR shifter and SLX rear dr combo imo shifts smoother than a pure XT combo. Same applied to SRAM, you can hardly the feel the difference if you swop an XO rear dr out for a X9 using XO shifters, but "downgrade" the shifters and you can feel it.

Also the reason why I try and go for the best shifters, I would rather be scrooge on the dr.

That way it's cheaper to fix/replace if you break a RD cage.

That way it's cheaper to fix/replace if you break a RD cage.

Yea and if something will break, the chances between the shifters and DR, it will 10-1 be the DR...More exposed.

Yea and if something will break, the chances between the shifters and DR, it will 10-1 be the DR...More exposed.

Unless it is XO in mud... My sani partner's dad broke his 2 week old FD shifter on day 2 at the race due to the mud.

A theory I read was that the RD is more visible, so guys like to have the higher spec there cos they can brag they've got an XT / XTR setup, meanwhile everything else is Deore / SLX. Article basically said the same thing you guys have said above, for better shifting spend money on (in this order):

1. Shifters

2. FD

3. RD

Unless it is XO in mud... My sani partner's dad broke his 2 week old FD shifter on day 2 at the race due to the mud.

Eish...heard it was a mudfest. Dare I say, shimano ftw

+1

XT RD, 900. SLX Shifters, 700.

XT Shifters, 1100. SLX RD, 700.

EDIT: listed combo's appropriately.

+1

Or they know that a bike with XT specced RD will sell faster than a bike with xt shifters and slx RD. Looks more bling.

SRAMano for the win!

Best of both worlds. SRAM X0 shifting. Matchmakers. Saint RD with clutch.

SRAMano for the win!

Best of both worlds. SRAM X0 shifting. Matchmakers. Saint RD with clutch.

With you're awesomeness combined with those PT shorts, I'm sure you could make downtube shifters work work amazingly with a Shimano Acera groupo. :lol: