Chain Lube?

cruiser

Doesn't matter, as long as you lube.

I recently tried some Herschells chain wax from Builder's Warehouse (designed for motorbikes and chainsaws). R25 for a bottle the same size as White Lightning. It works really well and lasts a long time, around 250-offroad-km but gets messy after a while. It's also very thick on application, almost like hand lotion.

Not a bad R25 experiment though.....

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter, as long as you lube.

I recently tried some Herschells chain wax from Builder's Warehouse (designed for motorbikes and chainsaws). R25 for a bottle the same size as White Lightning. It works really well and lasts a long time, around 250-offroad-km but gets messy after a while. It's also very thick on application, almost like hand lotion.

Not a bad R25 experiment though.....

Try the Go wax lube from Bearing-Man. The chainsaw lubes are designed to work under high temperatures. Go chain wax is cheap (R160 or R100 for 500ml on special).

thinking of going back to Squirt again,,,,on last bit of White Lightning Epic Ride....what a bunch of cr@p that lube is....

Don't, try rock and roll blue...extreme. and use it exactly as the bottle says you should. Happy days

Rock & Roll Extreme(blue one)....tried them all sticking with it

best of all the lubes I've ever used. The only problem is that I can't find the big bottles anymore and the little bottles are too expensive :(

Am I the only one that thinks squirt is rubbish?

Never again after battling to get it off the cassette. I use Purple Extreme or anything else that looks like oil. Even used TechniBlok sunspray recently but will rather use water than touch squirt again.

I am with you on this one. Squirt is crap! You should have seen the guy's face at the sani2c waterpoint when I told him "that **** does not touch my bike" when he asked if I want some squirt for my chain. And I wasn't trying to be rude, it was the politest way for me to convay how I feel about squirt.

Edit: I'd rather lube my chain with mud!

Edited by Mr SingleTrack

best of all the lubes I've ever used. The only problem is that I can't find the big bottles anymore and the little bottles are too expensive :(

Yea and you use quite a lot, but hell nothing comes close to it. Must actually hear if epic cycles will bring in the big bottles

If you want the best and willing to pay

do Rock N Roll Extreme;

else if you want better than Squirt and very cheap

do Bearing-Man Go chain wax;

Edited by Berg Bok

I don't know if they can order but I know they only have small bottles. I also heard that the distributor only bring the small bottles in. I am happy to join a bulk order from overseas if you know a place that sell it...

Don't, try rock and roll blue...extreme. and use it exactly as the bottle says you should. Happy days

Dankie, sal probeer :thumbup:

I don't know if they can order but I know they only have small bottles. I also heard that the distributor only bring the small bottles in. I am happy to join a bulk order from overseas if you know a place that sell it...

Yip crc is our friend it seems

Quick links don't work on my 10 spd MTB and many other 10 spd mtb bikes. They slip on the small gear at the back. They great for when you need to fix a break on a ride but you need to replace with a proper 10 spd pin when you get home.

THEREFORE, I clean my chain by removing the rear wheel and by having the chain both front and rear on smallest chainring and bike on stand. Half fill an icecream tub with petrol. By moving the jockey wheel forward with your hand and turning the pedals you can easily get the a large section of chain to wash through the petrol. Try it, you'll see what I mean. It cleans easily because the chain drops into the tub vertically and then goes horizontal and then climbs out vertically so you get lots of link movement. Just turn the pedals slowly with the links clunking through the petrol. The links come out clean and spotless with a whole load of grit deposited in the icecream container! So simple. It may take a few minutes to rig up the first time, but when you have it a cracked it is a breeze every other time.

Dry the chain by letting it travel through a cloth and then let it stand for 10 minutes and the remaining petrol will evaporate. Now for the lube.

Wheel now fitted and bike upside down. With a nice thick oil like Dr Phils, put one small drop per link. Some people think I'm crazy to do this but I think it takes about 2 minutes (count the links - there are not that many!). I used to just turn the chain and the same time apply the oil. This is a real dirt trap for off road as you all know. After accurately applying the oil, spin the chain a few times and then wipe off excess oil with a cloth (spin holding a cloth). THEN. apply squirt liberally and keep applying squirt on a regular basis (maybe weekly).

After a month or even two, repeat the process. Best of both worlds. Well lubed chain (oil) and anti clogging and silkiness of squirt.