Please explain "taper" to me

Wimmas

Hi peeps!

I'm currently in the market for a new or used bike and doing a bit of research. I have a question that I think would be quick and easy to answer for most hubbers

If I understand correctly it's better to get a bike that has a tapered head tube as it provides better stability/stiffness or whatever. I see that the cheaper 29ers aren;t tapered.

Now I saw a 2011 Momsen AL329 that I might buy and on the spec sheet where the frame is described it does not state tapered, hoever the fork that's on the bike is a RS recon silver air, taper crown. Does this now suggest that the head tube on the frame is also tapered? Here's a link to the specific bike I'm speaking of http://www.momsenbikes.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=134&Itemid=663

If I also understand the following correctly, it's better to get a bike with a tapered head tube as it's easier to upgrade the fork in the future as there are more high end forks like the Reba available to replace the RS sivler recon etc?

Please give a noob some clarity on this matter.

Much appreciated

Yes if the fork is tapered then the frame has to be. Most new forks are going tapered so you would be future proofing in a way. It would be interesting to see who actually notices any difference in handling due to the so called stiffer steering.

You can put a straight steerer into a tapered frame with an "adapter".

Edited by BigWheelMTB

Hi peeps!

I'm currently in the market for a new or used bike and doing a bit of research. I have a question that I think would be quick and easy to answer for most hubbers

If I understand correctly it's better to get a bike that has a tapered head tube as it provides better stability/stiffness or whatever. I see that the cheaper 29ers aren;t tapered.

Now I saw a 2011 Momsen AL329 that I might buy and on the spec sheet where the frame is described it does not state tapered, hoever the fork that's on the bike is a RS recon silver air, taper crown. Does this now suggest that the head tube on the frame is also tapered? Here's a link to the specific bike I'm speaking of http://www.momsenbik...=134&Itemid=663

If I also understand the following correctly, it's better to get a bike with a tapered head tube as it's easier to upgrade the fork in the future as there are more high end forks like the Reba available to replace the RS sivler recon etc?

Please give a noob some clarity on this matter.

Much appreciated

I don't buy into that bs. Bike handling is more about a lot of things mixing well together. Go ride a GT zaskar with the straight steerer and you will see.

Is it not better to have a moer stuck in a cone than a straight pipe? Yes it is. Sorry a bit gesuip now.

Guest Latent Blue
Is it not better to have a moer stuck in a cone than a straight pipe? Yes it is. Sorry a bit gesuip now.
I have learnt the valuable lesson of not hubbing whilst schmertzed! :thumbup:

Well future proofing is what my next buy will be all about. Come to think of it I think the most recent bike I had, had a tapered fork and head tube. Compared to my first MTB which did not have a tapered fork, I must say that i definately felt a difference in stiffness/satbility or maybe the first MTB just a a real crappy fork :wacko:

Guest Latent Blue

Scott is a straihht... the other is a taper

Guest Latent Blue

Hourgglass headtube is for a straight steerer, fat looking headtube that is wider at the bottom than the top is for a tapered steerer

So the Bergamont isn't a bad bike for it's price and leaves a lot of room for upgrades. Whjy haven't I heard much of Bergamont or do I live in a cave?

Guest Latent Blue

I dont buy bikes for the fork steerer...

I do buy a bike based on a frame...

Id rather buy a better frame with worse parts (better upgrade potential) than a top spect bike...

I dont however kniw bergamont...

Im a momsen and a rocky mountain man myself

What about the Axis A30, tapered or not? A30 has double butted frame and A10 tripple butted, whatever that means. http://www.axis-bike...dtail/a-30-29er

I've looked at the momsen but the AL229 isn't tapered and that blue is'nt attractive, the AL329 however is a different story!

Edited by Wimmas

And here I thought this would be about relaxing before a ride....

Same here :blush:

Guest Latent Blue

Its tapered... I wont buy axis though...

Ehat is your budget? What are you looking for?