TriRock Durban

davem

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just driven back to durban from Holla trails.

its raining and its cold but there is no wind

glad i am not racking by baby tonight

guys - have a good one tomorrow.

if you see a tandem on the ride route tomorrow - give us a push :ph34r:

Guest Latent Blue
just driven back to durban from Holla trails.

Ive heard of this.... where is it? Close to durban?

Ive heard of this.... where is it? Close to durban?

Holla is just outside Ballito. Popular bike trail with some nice rides. Worth a visit.

Guest Latent Blue
Holla is just outside Ballito. Popular bike trail with some nice rides. Worth a visit.
cool, thx... should give it a go

Sounds like there were a few teething problems at registration and check in as well as some timing issues but aside from that sounds like it was a good event and a fast course. From what I hear if they get the organisation right its going to give 70.3 in East London a run for their money

Sounds like there were a few teething problems at registration and check in as well as some timing issues but aside from that sounds like it was a good event and a fast course. From what I hear if they get the organisation right its going to give 70.3 in East London a run for their money

Cool, glad to hear it went ok. 70.3 needs competition.

It definitely is a race with lots of potential. Organization just sucked big time! Chaos started with transition bags and timing chips not being there at registration and most only got their timing chips the night before at race briefing or on the morning of the race. Transition bags where handed out on race day morning and you received a refuse bag for T1 and a large Zip lock bag for T2.

Volunteers where useless. Nutrition and aid stations on both bike and run not up to standard. I had such a laugh when I saw they gave out 500ml screw top water bottles on the bike course.

I'll give it a miss next year to first find out if they sorted out their issues, if all goes well then, I'll definitely be back in 2015. Or they can drop the entry fee and I'll make peace with the poor organization but given what I paid to enter, I expect a top notch race experience.

It definitely is a race with lots of potential. Organization just sucked big time! Chaos started with transition bags and timing chips not being there at registration and most only got their timing chips the night before at race briefing or on the morning of the race. Transition bags where handed out on race day morning and you received a refuse bag for T1 and a large Zip lock bag for T2.

Volunteers where useless. Nutrition and aid stations on both bike and run not up to standard. I had such a laugh when I saw they gave out 500ml screw top water bottles on the bike course.

I'll give it a miss next year to first find out if they sorted out their issues, if all goes well then, I'll definitely be back in 2015. Or they can drop the entry fee and I'll make peace with the poor organization but given what I paid to enter, I expect a top notch race experience.

This is exactly what I was worried about and why I skipped it.

100% agree with the potential of the race and the venue but lack of organisation really bugs me at races so I'll wait to see if things are improved for future races

This was an amazing race. The swim was warm and the ocean flat. In fact around the 2nd bouy the water was so clear and there was so many fish, I almost wanted to go on a sight seeing session. Then around the third bouy , some local fisherman in wetsuits (suspect they where doing lobster /clam diving) pop out of the water and start cheering us on.... Where in the world do you get cheering crowds at the 3rd bouy in an ultra??

The cycle was fast and tougher than expected but the scenery plus a gentle tail wind made the return leg a pleasure.

The run was flat and very spectator friendly... as this race gains popularity , will be a even more amazing vibe.

I will be back next year.

There where without a doubt many teething problems. But honestly it was the first event and I do believe the organizers need to be cut some slack. I am sure they have learnt some hard lessons and will work hard on improving the next event.

As for criticizing volunteers ..... I don't know what to say. Complete bollocks. These are people who give up their time for us to race... Come on... Get real.

Comments about skipping next year, whilst entirely your prerogative are simply not helpful and certainly not going to support the growth of the sport.

We now have a ultra event in September, at a magnificent venue, just fantastic.

Thank you Durbs , thank you Trirock.

TriRock Durban was a fantastic race. What a venue! What a course!

Fast, fun, beautiful scenery. This is going to grow dramatically. As a venue, Durban beats EL hands down.

The swim safety was superb, the water clear and calm, road closure was great, road surface was smooth, the few potholes were well marked. The run route took you along the beach front which is flat, smooth with an awesome view of the ocean and the spectacular Moses Mabhida Stadium. The announcers and vibe were also superb.

From what I can gather, 343 entries for Sunday including 38 teams. This will have three times as many entrants next year.

The mother grundies will moan about some teething problems. Yes, there were a few, a supplier let them down and there was some inexperience in a few issues but so what, the race was great. If your weekend is defined by a plastic bag not being to specification then maybe you should find something else to do.

This was an amazing race. The swim was warm and the ocean flat. In fact around the 2nd bouy the water was so clear and there was so many fish, I almost wanted to go on a sight seeing session. Then around the third bouy , some local fisherman in wetsuits (suspect they where doing lobster /clam diving) pop out of the water and start cheering us on.... Where in the world do you get cheering crowds at the 3rd bouy in an ultra??

Must be a Durban thing...in the days of the old Southern Sun Durban Ultras (1990's) we used to start the swim from vetchies (sp) pier and swim up to North beach, the one year along the way we swam through a flotilla of small speedboats busy fishing, they offered us beer and biltong before telling us how many sharks they had caught...

Archived