VAN GAALEN TRACK SIGNS AND MAP

Ryanv1

I rode at Vangaalen's track last Monday and it's a lovely spot with some nice technical single track and the Greek Church loop etc. However at R45 per rider and R25 per walker can they please upgrade their signage on the track. I am still looking for the floating bridge and the map they give you makes no sense on the track as the signage does not help to understand the map. We were two riders and 5 walkers and we all had the same gripe. Thanks Vangaalen's.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not the first time the lack of directions and route markings has been brought up concerning VG. As to why there are no markings, your guess is as good as mine. You sometimes get smart answers like, "Go ride with the locals." Or you are told it's straight forward and you cannot get lost.

The trails are great fun but I agree with you, it would be nice to know where to find them. As you say, to me, the map is just about useless.

This has been mentioned in other threads about VG.

There are various reasons why signage is lacking.

Ride with someone who knows the area. Or pack lunch & try to get lost. Some folks enjoy that too :ph34r:

Snap

Not going to happen I am afraid and with good reason, the signage gets stolen or moved continuously so its a losing battle for erik. Here is what I propose

Just ride and get to know the place...sure you will get lost now and again, but think of it as a camelman adventure

Ride with someone you know

If you have a garmin I can pm you some of our rides there and you can upload the gpx file as a course to your device.

This is not the first time the lack of directions and route markings has been brought up concerning VG. As to why there are no markings, your guess is as good as mine. You sometimes get smart answers like, "Go ride with the locals." Or you are told it's straight forward and you cannot get lost.

The trails are great fun but I agree with you, it would be nice to know where to find them. As you say, to me, the map is just about useless.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/99012-van-gaalens-trail-updates/page__st__480

Look at post #493

I see the point. It can lead to all sorts of problems.

As a beginner, it is annoying not knowing the routes. I started out riding with people who knew the area and that was quite some time ago. To date, I'm still not 100% sure how to get to several of the famed trails on my own. I rely on Rouxtjie and Co. for that.

it really doesnt take much to learn the trails..but it is nice to have someone to show you. you just need to figure out that most of them hit the dirt road at some stage

I see the point. It can lead to all sorts of problems.

As a beginner, it is annoying not knowing the routes. I started out riding with people who knew the area and that was quite some time ago. To date, I'm still not 100% sure how to get to several of the famed trails on my own. I rely on Rouxtjie and Co. for that.

And when are we rolling there again brother....should make a plan with the usual suspects :thumbup:

And when are we rolling there again brother....should make a plan with the usual suspects :thumbup:

some of the usual suspects will be there on saturday @8...

*HIJACK ON*

Soon dude, soon. Busy with rehab after the knee op at the end of April. Will hopefully take the big wheels out this weekend for a short ride.

*HIJACK OFF*