Drivetrain conversion 3x9 to 2x9 to 2x10

Heinrich Schroder

Good day everyone,

I own a 2011 GT Zaskar 100 Expert 26er.

I am currently running a 3x9 Shimano XTR groupset and would like to convert to 2x10 eventually, by starting with converting my front chainrings, derailleur, and crack to a 2-chainring setup.

The reason I am looking to do the conversion step-by-step is because I was told by a local Cycle Lab that they could do just the front conversion (XTR) for R4k! This is already quite expensive.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? Ok to do it step-by-step? Or should I just save a little longer and convert all in one go?

Can do it step by step, and there's no need to do anything but remove your big ring and adjust the limit screws so that your 3x9 shifter doesn't shift beyond the 2nd ring (or, there may be a switch on the XTR shifter to change to 2x?)

Then all you'll have to do is change the cassette, chain and RD, together with the shifter, and you have a 2x10 setup

Mmmmmm I always thought that the 2*10 'revolution' came about because of the 'bigger' 1st gear available with 10sp cassettes ... hence simply removing the granny would only be for 'he man' types?

Mmmmmm I always thought that the 2*10 'revolution' came about because of the 'bigger' 1st gear available with 10sp cassettes ... hence simply removing the granny would only be for 'he man' types?

10sp cassettes have the same size biggie - a 36t.

The XX1 (11 speed) which is a 1x11 has the big ass 42 tooth sprocket on there.

AH - I'm talking of removing the bigger ring on the CHAINRING. Up front. And then changing the sprockets to something liek 28/36 or something.

AH - I'm talking of removing the bigger ring on the CHAINRING. Up front. And then changing the sprockets to something liek 28/36 or something.

Would actually go the following up front

36/24(or22)or 38/26 or 40/28

DEpending on the terrain and you leg strength/fitness

I'd put the money towards upgrading to a 29er?

Are 29ers better than 26ers?

Just Kidding, good luck with the upgrade, nice bike!!!!