Buzzrack Buzzybee 4 Review

nickcza

I decided to take a chance and buy a Buzzrack Buzzybee 4 bike carrier. I did as much research as I could, and there seems to be no reviews on it, so hopefully this review will help others.

Here it is:

http://www.rackandcarry.co.za/portals/0/Bike%20Racks/BuzzyBee%204%20Green%20high%20res.jpg

Positives:

- metal structure is very solid

- welds are clean

- easy to put together

- tail lights are bright enough

- bikes are held on very securely

- comes with all the straps you could need, and more

- all tools needed are included

Negatives

- the manual is a bit hard to decipher

- I would prefer brighter, LED tail lights

- bicycle handlebars get in the way when loading

- needs a spanner to attach to the tow bar

- the key to lock it looks like it comes out of a lucky packet

- if your tow bar has a backing plate, this might get in the way a bit

Conclusion

overall quality: 8/10

value for money: 9/10

I much prefer this to the hanging type carriers.

I would recommend this to anyone, lets see how it lasts over time.

Purchased from www.rackandcarry.co.za, excellent service

• 2 years later...

Hi Nick, I am looking to buy a bike rack, and read your review. Now that you used it for some time, would you still recommend the BuzzRack?

Riaan

Bought one on Friday and happy so far. I was actually only wanting a 3 bike carrier but these only come in 4 bike. We went to the G2C today with 3 bikes (29er's) on. I think 4 bikes will take a bit of fiddling to fit. Seats and bars do overlap. 

• 4 months later...

I lost my key for my buzz rack .Do anybody knows how I can get an replacement key

??

Try Buzz Rack or pop in at your local locksmith. The lock can usually be replaced with a new one that will come with a set of keys.

Hi,

I've had mine for a couple of years now. The straps are rubbish but cheap to replace with something stronger.

Mine has arms that clamp onto the frame of the bike, and to find the best place to position them is a bit of a challange sometimes, but I have always managed.

For the price of these racks compared to others, they are good value for money.

Regards

Sarge

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread, but still relevant.

Does anyone else have this bike rack and can give any more feedback?

A common 'problem' on multi bike racks, is the clashing of bars and seatposts. I don't imagine that is specific to this model.

I currently have this Menabo, but threading those arms through the frames to fit 3 different bikes is such a nightmare

http://menaboracks.co.za/images/stories/virtuemart/product/22winnyplus948847d.jpg

I have the BuzzQuattro which works great. Have had it for about 7 months now and have used it at least once a week and it is still in great condition.

It even fits my XL 29er although it would be better if the wheel supports would move out just a little bit more. 

With 2 29er's and 2 kids 24inched frame and 26er wheels it is a tight fit but do'able.

The frame supports are easy to maneuver into place. The other designs look like they could be a bit more of a challenge. At half the price of a Thule, which I believe only do a 3 bike with an extension for an additional bike, you really cannot go wrong :D  

post-84387-0-01299300-1493826378_thumb.jpg

I find that on racks like these, its best to simply loosen the handle bars and turn it to one side. Bikes fit like a charm. 

I have the Buzzrack Quattro, had it for about a year, used infrequently but quite happy with it considering the budget price compared to say Thule. Don't remember price, but was in the order of half of similar Thule, which I think was only 3 bike model...

Used on tar and gravel trips, distances from CPT to eastern cape. Usually two 24inch kids bikes plus 27.5 and 29er.

A few comments I can add from my experience:

It uses little webbing straps to hold the bike and these are fiddly to attach. Also easy to lose them as they tend to slip out easily when you are undoing a bike.

The channels that the bike's tyres fit in/on are plastic and seem flimsy. You can adjust them outward to accommodate bikes with different wheelbase but at maximum extension for a long wheelbase 29er the plastic channel piece cantilevers off the main steel rail. An extra inch of rail would have made it a lot sturdier.

Loading bikes is best done by 2 people, one to hold bike, second to swing the upright arm of the rack into position and tighten up those fiddly straps, which needs 2 hands.

The bikes end up pretty close together, but haven't had any chaffing problems yet. No pool noodles needed.

It uses a hand wheel/nut to tighten onto the towball. This needs a fair bit of oomph to tighten properly while at the same time jiggling the rack. Not for the frail.

But when it's on, it is pretty vas.

I alternate the bikes, one kid's, one adult's, to minimize seat and handlebar conflict. But one bike usually gets its neck wrung/ bars loosened and turned.

I haven't found a good way yet to store the rack when it's off the car. If you stand it up on a side then it's always resting on a plastic bit, either the light cluster, or the channels. Both a bit flimsy. Takes up a lot of space lying flat.

Heavy but very sturdy (the steel bits).

I have only had it on a gooseneck towbar, so can't comment on compatibility with other towbars.

And if you drive a VW bus, pack everything in the back before you put the rack on, as you can't open or close the boot afterwards no matter if there are bikes on or not! That tightening knob/wheel is in the way, 1cm too high.

I have the Buzzrack Quattro, had it for about a year, used infrequently but quite happy with it considering the budget price compared to say Thule. Don't remember price, but was in the order of half of similar Thule, which I think was only 3 bike model...

Used on tar and gravel trips, distances from CPT to eastern cape. Usually two 24inch kids bikes plus 27.5 and 29er.

A few comments I can add from my experience:

It uses little webbing straps to hold the bike and these are fiddly to attach. Also easy to lose them as they tend to slip out easily when you are undoing a bike.

The channels that the bike's tyres fit in/on are plastic and seem flimsy. You can adjust them outward to accommodate bikes with different wheelbase but at maximum extension for a long wheelbase 29er the plastic channel piece cantilevers off the main steel rail. An extra inch of rail would have made it a lot sturdier.

Loading bikes is best done by 2 people, one to hold bike, second to swing the upright arm of the rack into position and tighten up those fiddly straps, which needs 2 hands.

The bikes end up pretty close together, but haven't had any chaffing problems yet. No pool noodles needed.

It uses a hand wheel/nut to tighten onto the towball. This needs a fair bit of oomph to tighten properly while at the same time jiggling the rack. Not for the frail.

But when it's on, it is pretty vas.

I alternate the bikes, one kid's, one adult's, to minimize seat and handlebar conflict. But one bike usually gets its neck wrung/ bars loosened and turned.

I haven't found a good way yet to store the rack when it's off the car. If you stand it up on a side then it's always resting on a plastic bit, either the light cluster, or the channels. Both a bit flimsy. Takes up a lot of space lying flat.

Heavy but very sturdy (the steel bits).

I have only had it on a gooseneck towbar, so can't comment on compatibility with other towbars.

And if you drive a VW bus, pack everything in the back before you put the rack on, as you can't open or close the boot afterwards no matter if there are bikes on or not! That tightening knob/wheel is in the way, 1cm too high.

I agree with most of what you say but I manage fine to mount the bikes on my own and have never had to twist bars. That being said I am over 2m tall so it is possible that my long legs and arms help me get to places the average person can't :D.

I keep mine in the original box at the back of the garage but I also made the garage a meter longer when I had the house built....not for this reason as I was not into bikes at that stage but I always prefer a slightly larger garage for extra storage space. 

I suppose it is always about the experience of the person using it. I just feel that for the price I will gladly live with or find a work around for any problems :)